Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Tropical Storm Agatha

I came home Friday afternoon. Admittedly, I knew little of what was going on in the world except my pain and nausea. If it was not happening within the confines of my four bedroom walls, I was not aware of it.

Normally, I like the sound of the rain falling on the tin roof. But I kept waking to the sound of what sounded like 100,000 rounds of machine gun fire. I did not know if I was delirious, dreaming or if I had been moved to a war zone hospital.

Marc told me we were in a tropical storm. Most news reports are saying tropical storm Agatha pounded El Salvador and Guatamala. But no one in Honduras, can deny her presence. She dumped eighteen inches here in Santa Ana. There is death, destruction and devastation everywhere. Part of the road to Choluteca is gone. We cannot even imagine what Santa Katarina looks like and how hungry they must be. We were without power for over a day and a half and phone service for a while, too. There are still parts of the country without power.

There was widespread flooding. Santa Ana was hit hard. There were two deaths in Santa Ana. Many homes were washed away. More than two hundred people slept in the community building last night and twenty slept in our church building.

The pictures in the paper yesterday were haunting and gut-wrenching. A house washing down the river. People with their only few belongings, walking in chest deep water, holding those belongings over their heads.

It is summer and groups are arriving daily. There is plenty of work to be done. Please pray for this country, the homeless, the hungry as as many lifes as possible are restored.

Terri

5 comments:

Ginger said...

oh terri you have had so many problems with your health and now this bad storm...i am so sorry.
prayers, prayers and more prayers going up from here for you and the people there. ginger

Anonymous said...

Good to see you back on here...Praying for you and the country! Feel better soon! God Bless! Sharon Mc

Blue-Eyed Mystery said...

I'm praying. Many of my friends have been effected by the tropical storm.

Anonymous said...

so good to see you are well enough to blogg. Praying for you and Mark and the conditions of all those there in this difficult time. linda

Kim said...

Terri,

I just have to tell you it is reassuring to know you are feeling up to blogging again. We have prayed constantly for your recovery and will continue to pray.

Please let us know things we can start collecting that will help with everything that is going on in Santa Ana and the surrounding area.

You and Marc are in our hearts and on our minds. love, Kim