Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Humbled

Everytime, we have faced surgeries or sickness or whatever life throws in our faces, we have been humbled by the response of our friends and family. This time was no exception. Everyone of you are awesome. Your prayers sustained in a very frightening hour. We could not survive without the prayers and encouragement of our friends and family in the states.

But I would like to share a few incidences of people here that have truly humbled me.

There were several of our Honduran friends that made their way to the hospital to see us. They spent bus fare or gas money to do that. That touched those places deep in my heart.

Our good friend, David Logue showed up at the hospital Wednesday night. And stayed. He held a trash can up to my face as I vomited. He would have been a good nurse had not the call to Honduras tugged at his heartstrings. He stayed all during my surgery with Marc. The surgery did not begin until 11:00 p.m. And did not end until after 2:00. We all know how horrible it is to wait through a loved one's surgery alone. David made sure Marc did not wait alone. It was well after 3:00 when he left the hospital. One of the little girls for which he cares was having surgery at 6:00 a.m. We would have understood if he didn't stay. But he did. There are people I have done that for and would do that for, but it is always humbling when it is done for us.

Sandra is one of our employees at Casa de Esperanza. She works five days a week for us. The other two she rides a bus into Tegucigalpa and irons. Friday, while I was in the hospital, was her day off from Casa. She rode the bus to town and came to the hospital and stayed all day with me. She helped the nurse give me a bath. She kept my water glass filled. She helped me get to the bathroom and take that first post-surgical walk. She gave up a day of deperately needed income to help me. It still brings tears to my eyes as I think of that sacrifice.

Saturday, our neighbors, Dennis and Marta, came to visit us. They go to church with us. They walked in my bedroom and quickly Dennis and Marc went into the living room. Marta eyed my big bed and fluffy comforter. She grabbed both of my hands in hers and began to pray. She prayed a beautiful prayer. Tears from falling from her eyes as hard as the rain from Agatha was falling outside. After her prayer, we visited for a few minutes. I felt truly blessed by her visit.

Sometimes, most of the time, I am truly blessed by the Honduran people I came to help far more than I could ever bless them.

I am truly humbled and blessed.

Don't stop praying for me. Got a ways to go yet before I am fully recovered.

Terri

2 comments:

Ginger said...

Dear Terri,
The reason you have seen so much love given is because you give much love to others and I am so glad for the support there from Honduran friends.

Here we are still praying as I realize you are still not back to full recovery.

I know that little else can be done from here but our prayers but do know that we continue to pray.

LeAnne is visiting for almost two weeks and we are enjoying her very much. She has helped Pearley alot with the repairs being made on the bathroom. First the AC had to be replaced and now the bathroom commode goes out downstairs. I am still waiting for the third mishap that will go wrong in this house as superstition says it will be 3 things go wrong. I guess I am supersticious because I keep thinking there will be a number 3 breakdown. This old house has quite a few things go wrong all year round. But it seems that everything goes bad at once and hits the pocketbook at once.
LeAnne and Pearley laid tile all day yesterday when the carpet was ruined by the leak in the commode.
Pearley fractured his wrist when he fell and LeAnne was a big help.

You get well!! love, Ginger

VIC'S PLACE said...

You are in our prayers. I'm so glad that have support of your Honduran friends. I agree with Ginger, "you have seen so much love given because you give much love to others". How blessed the Honduran's are to have you in their lives. I'm glad that you're doing better.

Love you,

Vicki & Dennis