Friday, June 25, 2010

Don't Touch My Stomach

Since the I began taking short walks to Casa and back, Karen and all the other staff have cautioned the kids about running up to me and hugging too hard. The kids are trying hard to remember that. A couple have bumped into me but they have bumped my back or some other part of me than my stomach.

A couple of adults, that I would think would know better, have rushed up to me and thrown their arms around me harder than I would have liked. Forever worried about my stomach, incision, and insides healing, I have bristled and back away from the big hugs. Nothing personal, just don't want anything to hurt.

Today some of the kids parents showed up here for visitation. I was standing there with Karen and Karen told the parents I had had an operation. The mother is mentally and socially lacking a few things and probably suffers from long term malnutrition, among other things. She reached over and started rubbing my stomach. No one on this property knew I was capable of moving as fast I did. I took a couple of steps backward and did not want to move forward near the mom again. I guess she took the hint and did not try to touch my stomach again. It has been four weeks since surgery, but it is still way too soon for anyone to be touching and rubbing on my stomach.

Terri

No comments: