Saturday, June 26, 2010

Tuna?


Yesterday was an eventful day. After the kids' mother wanted to rub on my stomach, I gave Pamela and Antonio some money and asked them to walk to the pulperia and get me some tuna and a loaf of bread.


In a third world country where people are starving, I hate to say there is nothing to eat in my house. But the choices of what I can do for myself when no one else is here, were very limited yesterday and I was quite hungry.


While Pamela and Antonio were gone, I sat here anticipating a good tuna sandwich, complete with mayonnaise and sweet pickle relish.


When they returned, Pamela handed me a can; some of the label was gone. I could see it said tuna and in big letters was the word Mar, which means sea. I was thinking I got lucky and got Chicken of the Sea.


I took the can, the bread and my change and thanked the kids for going to the store for me.


I walked into the kitchen and opened my tuna. I had a huge surprise. Perhaps what was in that can was tuna, but not what I was expecting. It was dark and had peas and carrots mixed with it. People do not buy dog food in cans here. Dogs eat whatever they can find. But my tuna looked a lot more like dog food than people food. It would have been funny, if I had not been so hungry. In fact, later in the day it was funny. But not at that moment.


I will definitely be buying my tuna at PriceSmart from now on.


Terri

2 comments:

Ginger said...

You are so right! Terri it looks like some kind of dog food to me too...the question is, "Were you sooo hungry that you ate it?" and if not, what did you eat?

You may be getting on the scales pretty soon and see that this new diet is working. No food diet.

However, I have no doubt that the old peanut butter and jelly staple still can be found in your kitchen cabinet..right?
love, Ginger

Terri L Tindall said...

No, I did not eat that. I was not in danger of dying from starvation. I don't do peanut butter. I ate chips.
Terri