Monday, June 21, 2010

A Sad Day

Sandra has worked here almost three years. It has been a good almost three years. The children love Sandra and most called her Mommy. She is the only employee we have ever had that we felt confident enough in her abilities to leave all 17 children with her on duty by herself. She has been firm with the children and pushed on homework and chores. When the chores and the homework was done, she had fun with them, too. One day she helped them make a rope swing from a high branch on a tree. She pushed each one in the swing and then she sat in it a gave herself a swing, while the children laughed and cheered. She is a good employee and a good person.

We thought yesterday was her last day to work for us, but it turned out Friday was. She came to get her final pay this morning. She cried. Karen cried. I cried. Dilcia cried. It was a very sad day to see her walk out that gate for the final time. There probably will never be another employee that can handle all 17 children alone.

In her place Karen hired a younger lady. A teeny tiny little thing that is 24 and looks 15. It is too soon to tell, but I think she is going to be ok. She is not Sandra, but I think she will be ok.

Please pray for us and the children during this transition.

Terri

2 comments:

Blue-Eyed Mystery said...

I'll be praying. I know that it can be rough having special people go in and out of one's life.

Anonymous said...

OH NO! I, too, am deeply saddended and tears come to my eyes for Sandra's leaving. I know how you ALL loved her. It is like losing a family member. Someone like Sandra cannot be replaced, but I pray for someone that all at Casa will come to love and that she will love the children and be a great help to everyone. Blessings an prayers to all of you. Sue