Friday, October 9, 2009

Teleton And Ice Cream

Today began a new class for Doris at Teleton. It will last for several weeks. Today was an introductory session and all parents and/or guardians went to class today. Most of the kids are so far ahead of Doris. We had to stand in a circle and introduce ourselved. Most of the children could do that. I was beside Doris. When it was her turn, she grabbed my arm and looked at the floor. I was saying her name to her, but she couldn't say it and I finally said her name. As she usually is in a new or social situation, she was terrified.

Then we played a game. It was sort of like Simon Says. Since my spanish is still so inadequate, I was very pleased that I was not the first one out. Sandra, one other adult and I were the last three adults left. At that time there was only four children left. I was pleased with that. Doris did not understand any of the instructions and stood there looking at me. There was one command she could do when she saw me do it. The others were way beyond her. She could not even do them after watching me.

When we got to the car, Sandra said Doris didn't understand anything. I said I understood more than Doris. That got a big chuckle from Sandra. Sweet little Doris did not even comprehend that she understood nothing while the others comprehended everything. I hope this class teaches her something.

When we take the kids to appointments, we usually go to the appointment and then come home. We don't want the kids to expect something every time we go to town. And, it could get quite expensive. I am less apprehensive taking one or two in some where than taking three or four or more.

I decided to stop for ice cream. That was a treat for Sandra and Doris. We went in Wendy's and I ordered 3 small frosties. Sandra and I both began to tell Doris to eat slowly. I told her if she ate ice cream too fast she would get a brain freeze. Undeterred, she plowed right in. I don't think Doris knows how to eat slowly. Of course, Sandra was taking small bites and savoring every bite. Doris downed hers in nothing flat. She dripped some on her hands a couple of times and would lick it right off., not to waste a drop. She dropped it on her both her skirt and her shirt. She really did get most of it in her mouth.

There she sat, her ice cream gone, eyeing us as we ate our ice cream. I had half of mine and Sandra had three quarters of hers. Sandra ate a bit more of hers and just could not stand it any longer. She took one last bite and then handed her cup to Doris. She began on the second cup as fast as she had the first one. Just as she had the last bite in her mouth, that brain freeze hit. Sandra and I could not help ourselves. We laughed. Then Doris started laughing. No matter what else is happening, when Doris laughs, it is funny. She is cackling and doesn't even know why and Sandra and I laughed harder.

The ice cream must have been just what Doris needed because she talked and sang and laughed all the way home.

I think it was just what I needed, too.

Terri

3 comments:

Ginger said...

ICE CREAM ICE CREAM WE ALL SCREAM FOR ICE CREAM!

Anonymous said...

Stories about children like Doris really hit a soft spot spot in my heart. Thanks for sharing. Here is praying that she will be able to learn much from her classes. I am so happy you are there to be so understanding and such a comfort to her. linda

Jonathan said...

hahaha! what a great story! i miss hearing doris sing.