Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Lost Keys

This morning, at 6:00, the night guard finished his shift. He took the keys into Casa and gave them to Nadia. A few minutes after that, Dorian left for class. Rosy ran out with the keys and opened the gate for Dorian. She locked the gate and came back in the house. A few minutes after that, I walked in and told her it was time to leave for school.

She looked at me and signed she did not know where the keys were. I told her to come on. I had keys and could use my own. After missing the bus a couple of weeks ago, I really don't like to mess around with the time we leave. I unlocked the gate, drove out, and locked the gate again.

Long before I got home, Karen was calling and asking about the keys. I told her Rosy was in the kitchen with Nadia when I got there. I thought the keys were probably in the kitchen somewhere, or perhaps Rosy dropped them on the way back into the house.

Karen called Nadia at home and Nadia said the last time she saw them they were hanging around Rosy's neck. Karen and the children looked on both sides of the gate and the path Rosy would have taken to the gate and back. I got home and there was still no keys.

I left again around 9:30 and still we had not found the keys. I told Karen I would check Rosy's backpack and lunchbox when I saw her. Karen called the school and told them to make sure Rosy did not give our keys to another child. Meanwhile, the ladies in the kitchen moved the refrigerator and several other things looking for the keys. The house got a thorough cleaning today.

I went to get Rosy at school at 1:30 and we were going to the doctor. Before I drove away, I checked the lunchbox and backpack. No keys. I called Karen to report the news.

After Rosy and I left the doctor's office, Karen called in a bit more of a panic. She said some of the employees suggested that if Rosy unlocked the gate for Dorian, perhaps she left the keys in the lock and someone walked by and stole them. That got me in more of a panic than I had been all day. I just kept remembering when one of my kids through my keys in the toy box and it was days before they surfaced. I had thought all day, the keys will surface.

I called Marc to repeat what Karen said. All of a sudden we are all in a panic. Marc is saying he will stop and buy more locks and keys. I knew it had to be done, but I was thinking, "we just barely got keys made for all those gates for everyone that needs one.

I called Karen and said Marc is buying locks and keys.

In about 30 seconds, Karen called again, with relief in her voice, she states, "we found the keys. They were in a drawer in the kitchen. " Oh, we were so thankful. I called Marc and told him not to buy locks. The keys were found.

When Rosy and I got home, Karen unlocked the gate for us. She asked Rosy if she knew where the keys were. Rosy walks in the kitchen, opens the drawer in which the keys had been found, and pointed to the spot where she left them.

The little stinker. She hid the keys on purpose this morning. We think to yank my chain, since I like to leave on time

Trust me, there is never a dull minute around here. And when I went up to Casa later in the evening, I did not even think of putting my keys down.

Terri

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a terrible experience. I am so happy the keys were found. I bet everyone will really be more careful about the keys now. What a scare. So happy all feel safe tonight locked inside the gates. linda

Brian Vaughan said...

HAHA! that is hilarious in retrospect, and totally Rosy! Thanks for the laugh Terri!