Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Puppies

I more or less live in my own world.  I work my shifts with the kids.  I run the errands.  I pay the bills.  I work on the paper work.  I know what is going on with the kids, but sometimes not much more.  Saturday morning I noticed Tibbie (Haley's dog) was pregnant.  I did not have any idea how long she had been pregnant or when the blessed event was to occur.

Yesterday afternoon Emma had a doctor's appointment.  Since it was Tuesday, my day off, I went with Nicole.  Nicole, Emma, and I were with the doctor when my phone rang.  It was Karen and she was talking so fast it was hard to understand what she was saying.  Last time Karen called and was talking that fast, three of the kids had a predinner drink of gasoline.  I knew this probably was not good news.  But, it really wasn't bad news.  Tibbie had had a baby.  Right out in the middle of the cancha and would not have anything to do with it.  As God always works these things out, there is vet here with the group.  I told Karen to call Marc and she did.  About two minutes later, Marc called and said Tibbie had had four babies and she was dropping them all over the place.  She covered two with dirt.  I am not sure I would want to have anything to do with a baby if I was still in labor.

Nicole and I had thought we would not make it back to Ojojona to eat with the group and had planned to get food to go from Burger King, eat in the car and try to get back for devo.  We scratched those plans and decided to come on home.  

Tibbie finally had six babies and did not want anything to do with any of them.  The puppies were attached to Tibbie and she allowed them to nurse.  The vet said she could not promise if any of them would live.

Denis came to work this morning asking about the puppies and if they all lived.  He was so worried about the puppies because Tibbie was not being a good mother yesterday.

This morning, Tibbie was being a much better mother.  Right now, they are in my house.  It is raining and there is a leak above the dogs.  Tibbie is allowing her back to get wet so the puppies stay dry.  So far all of the puppies are alive and nursing.

Haley and Matt get back tomorrow.  Oh how fun it will be to see Haley's face when she sees the puppies. 

Between Tibbie and Nicole, the puppies and Emma, there is a whole lot of nursing, pooping and crying happening.  I know I use certain phrases often:  "it is what it is", "welcome to Honduras" and "there is never a
dull moment."  But truly, there is never a dull moment.




No comments: