Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Big Soccer Game

Soccer is the national sport in Honduras.  Everyone watches and/or plays this sport.  The soccer field that was built at Casa last year get used almost daily.

This afternoon Reina and I both were working.  It is rare for either of us to be working late Saturday afternoon.  The kids were playing soccer.  Reina started playing goalkeeper.  I watched this for a while.  Reina is about as athletic as I am.  I decided to level the playing field and go into the other goal.

Thankfully, the goal was small and I had a good defender (Antonio) in front of me.  Antonio kept most of the balls from getting to me.  I stopped a few.  Certainly not all of them.  One of the high balls, I just put my hands over my eyes and ducked.  My teammates were impressed with that.  The other goalkeeper laughed at me.  The kids laughed at me.  I laughed at me.  It was better than getting hit in the face.

It didn't take too much playing time for Reina and me before we gracefully bowed out. 

Terri

No comments: