Wednesday, July 13, 2011

What A Day

I rose earlier than normal because I had a busy day.  A really busy day.  I left here before 7:00 with my hands full of stuff and that little nagging feeling that I was forgetting something.  Not allowing for my own incompetence and the Honduran factor, I told Karen I was sure I would be back around noon.  I went to the mission house in Ojojona.  After I got all my stuff done there, I headed to the other mission house, arriving ahead of my predetermined schedule.  That should have been my sign.

After doing what was needed there, Preston and I got in the car and left for the airport.  We had a pleasant drive down and a nice visit.  We parked and were pulling his luggage across the parking lot.  I looked at my watch, thinking, "I am going to knock these errands out today."  I was way ahead of schedule.  Then the realization of having Preston's passport in my dresser drawer in Santa Ana nearly knocked me to the ground. 

I left Preston at the airport rather than load the luggage back in the car and raced back up the mountain, praying all the while. I called Karen and asked her to go to my house and get the passport and meet me at the front gate, saving a few valuable minutes.

While in Ojojona this morning, David realized he had the truck key and Jenn needed the key.  He wasn't going back to town and asked me to take the key.  Jenn and I were going to meet at the airport.  As I was racing up the mountain, I also realized I had the truck key in my pocket, thus making Jenn wait even longer.

With passport securely in my hand, I raced back down the mountain again.  When I left the house this morning, I knew I had enough fuel to get to the airport, run my errands and fill up on the way home.  The extra trip made my gas gauge a little lower than I like.  Knowing there was no time for gasoline stops,  I prayed to keep going.

I found Jenn and gave her the key.  At least that job was complete, be it however late.  I was walking Preston through all the steps and I learned that a minor traveling alone has to have a special form from immigration.  Off we went as fast as we could go.  We got the form and ran back to the American counter.  There were still a few other people in line ahead of us checking in, but not many.  And no one behind us. 

As soon as that bag was checked, I bought his exit fee.  We went upstairs and he went directly to the security line.  Preston had wanted to call his mother to let her know all was well.  He told me the number as he entered the line and I called his mother.  I do hope the rest of his trip home was uneventful.

I went back downstairs and bought a granita de cafe. 

Two people that arrived on Sunday, arrived without their luggage.  American called yesterday and said the bags were in.  With granita in hand, I walked bag to the American counter to claim the delayed luggage.  Oh yes, the luggage was there.  But, no I was not going to claim it.  Even though I had the claim form, I did not have written authorization from the people to claim their luggage.  Nor did I have a copy of their passport.  I said ok, hasta manana.

I am certainly not ahead of schedule now.

I paid my parking and coasted to the nearest gas station.  I asked for regular and was told all they had was supreme.  A regular event here.  I had no choice, but to buy supreme.  Then the traffic delayed me more.   I got to the bank.  There was only one person ahead of me.  That was good for another 30 minute delay.

More traffic and more delays.  That hour going after the passport was sure ending up costing more than an hour.

It was a crazy, crazy day.  But a house got built.  People at the dump were fed.  A group work on the construction site of a brand new feeding center.  And we had an awesome devo time with the Unashamed Missions group. 

Terri

2 comments:

Sylvia Collins said...

WOW Terri - Are you going to compile your blogs into a best seller some day? Love from COlumbus, SYlvia

Tempa said...

I'm out of breath just reading about your day!!