Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Today At The Dump

This morning started like most of my mornings, like most of my Wednesday mornings. I had God time, exercise time, took Rosy to the bus, came home, ate breakfast, and left for the dump. Knowing I had to meet Rosy at the bus and Marc had other things to do this afternoon, we took two cars. There was six of us, which is pretty tight in one car anyway.

The feeding went well. We know quite a few people now. Knowing them helps. They line up and wait their turn. Everyone knows they will get food.

Some boys we did not know walked into the crowd. They all begin to look in the windows of the trooper. Of course, I had it locked. Marc said, what is in your car. I told him my backpack was in the very back and as far as I knew that was all.

Before we left, some of the folks we know began to sense something, or overheard something, and told Ann and Becky to be careful with their cameras. Soon Marc said it is time to go. These same boys were still hanging aroung my car. Marc told Milton to ride in my car. I unlocked my door and waited until everyone was standing by their doors before I hit the unlock button. Before we knew what was happening, these boys reached in the back seat of the car and grabbed an ipod that was near the door.

Milton jumped out of my car and began chasing the boys. But the people that know us and are starting to trust us starting chasing also. These folks that are becoming our friends were angry, and they were determined to return with the ipod.

In just a very short time, Milton returned with the ipod in hand. I think Milton and some of the dump people had to manhandle the boys pretty good to retrieve the ipod.

I am pretty sure that a year ago the ipod would not have been returned. As we make friends with the people that live in the dump, they too are wanting to be friends and to take care of us when needed. They are wanting to show us that they not only trust us to be there every week with food, but that they want us to trust them as well.

This is the first time anything like this has happened. I am glad the ipod was returned.

And you can bet the windows in the trooper will be tinted before it goes back to the dump.

Terri

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Neat story and glad to hear they are becoming friends and looking out for you all also! :) Sharon Mc

TREY MORGAN said...

I'm glad you are seeing this from a positive view. You are 100% right about them taking care of you, because you are taking care of them.

I'm glad you're not scared off from something like this. The devil would love nothing more than for everyone to pack up and quit going to the dump.

Keep up the GREAT work. Love and prayers,

Trey

Ginger said...

Dear Terri,
I am so glad that this story had a good ending! You guys really have made some progress with those you feed every week. You can see that the ones you have fed week after week respect you. It won't be long until you are having bible study with some of these folks. They need to be fed with the word and with food.
I know that decision will be made when the time is right. I know right now you just want to take care of their physical needs.