Thursday, August 27, 2009

Clothes On The Line

When we wash clothes in the United States, we put them in the washer and, when the washer is finished, we put them in the dryer. If it should rain while we are washing our clothes, we never give it a second thought.

On laundry day in Honduras, the clothes hang on the clothesline and when it rains, you probably give it a lot of thought. Or least I do.

I was up at Casa unknotting this mass of embroidery thread. I had been working on the thread a good long time and could see the end was near. I heard the first patters of rain and thought I could still finish unknotting the thread. I had that last loop pulled out and pulled the wrong side and pulled a hard knot. At that point, I dropped the thread and ran for the house. I was followed by Fitto, Brayan, Cindy, and Linda. These kids know when it rains, what needs to be done. I got the laundry basket from the house and the five of us got all the laundry off the line. In record time, I might add. Even little Cindy was stretching to reach the line and got a few things off of it. When the lines were empty, Linda grabbed the basket and ran. Instead of opening the door for Linda, Cindy stood there saying "Terri, come open the door."

All the kids and I rushed in the house just as a downpour began. It was so cute. They all began cheering and high-fiving each other and saying we did it, we did it.

They ran back to Casa and I folded my nice clean laundry.

Those kids make a good team.

Terri

2 comments:

Ginger said...

Terri,
I hang my clothes on the line and run and get them off too when a cloud comes up!

It has saved my electric bill from being so high.

But man are those towels stiff.
:(

Have a good one.

Terri L Tindall said...

Yes, the towels are stiff, but nothing like those sheets that have hung out to dry.

Terri