Thursday, August 6, 2009

Home Sweet Home

I am home. I am glad to be home. Matt and Nicole are probably glad to have some time to themselves. I am home.

Yes, yesterday and this morning there were tears. On my part, lots of tears. I have had a marvelously wonderful time with Matt and Nicole and my new little granddaughter, Haley Grace. Getting to share in the miracle of her birth. Getting to give her her first bath. I sang to her and held her and rocked, sometimes in the middle of the night, and changed her dirty diapers. I have taken care of Nicole as she recovered from surgery. I have cooked and cleaned and done baby laundry and loved every minute of it. I could hardly stand leaving them, but it feels so good to be home.

Matt and I were leaving for New Orleans at 2:45 this morning. I kind of joked that I might not go to bed. I only thought I was joking. I didn't go to bed. Miss Haley was having a horrible night. I am sure she was crying because Grammy was leaving. About 1:00, I took the sheets off of my bed and through them in the washer. One less thing for Nicole to do. I think Nicole got Haley settled down at 2:10 and Matt got up at 2:20.

Not going to bed is the way we used to come to Honduras. Remember. Leaving for Atlanta on a bus for a 6:00 a.m. flight and then flying to Tegucigalpa, getting off the plane, grabbing lunch, and going right to work. That memory reminded me of the people who didn't come this year. Who didn't travel all night to come serve the people in this country.

I was seated at the back of a full plane. Due to the political circumstances, I was not expecting a full plane. I was planning on spreading out for a nap. Not to be. Being among the last off of the plane, I expected to be a while getting through immigration. Especially since the Continental flight arrived before my flight. That little residency card is a miracle worker. I buzzed through immigration while others waited in long lines. I got my luggage and got through customs and Marc and I were on our way by 11:30. We ate and then went to get Rosy. Rosy was glad to see me and I was glad to see her.

Before we got home, we heard every airport in the country closed at 1:00 due to strikes. I only heard that. I do not know if it is true or not. When I left to go to Nicole's, I got out right before the airport closed and I returned right before the airport closed. God is good....all the time.

I hugged the staff and the kids that weren't taking naps. It feels so good to be in my house. And, in just a few hours, it is going to feel really good to be back in my sweet bed.

Home sweet home.

Terri

3 comments:

Ginger said...

"Terri Sweet Terri" I am glad you are home and safe and sound.

I am happy that you came back with the attitude that it was sweet to be home. I was not sure that you would want to come back when there was much there to keep you from wanting to return.

Now there will be much to do there and you will jump in with both feet I am certain.

School started today at New Hope .
I guess that means summer is officially over.

love, Ginger

Donna said...

Terri, dear, I'm so glad you are home safe and sound! What sweet memories you have made with Haley Grace, and what a blessing you will be to her as she grows up in the Lord.

I hope you slept well and had sweet dreams of your little Princess.

God bless your hands and heart that are as big as Texas! Give our love to Marc!
Donna

Robin said...

Wow, God is the Master of timing -- over and over I see it.
and - Yeehaw! I know it feels so good to be back with Marc and 'be home' but too, I am right there with you - I didn't stay with Janna as long - only 16 days or so but I was glad to get back to this home to Lowell. The incredible sadness of leaving the precious new life though is really heavy ... and our Emily as well. :o(
Glad you and Marc got to 'talk' with Lowell last nite - We are so ready for Santa Ana to be our home!! love you!