Thursday, March 13, 2008

Thirty two Years of Rollercoastering

Today, March, 13, 2008, Marc and I have been married thirty two years. That is a long time. I was naive, really naive. I thought we would ride off into the sunset and live happily ever after. In retrospect, I am choosing for my marriage the analogy of an amusement park.

Thirty two years ago, as we entered the amusement park, I headed for the carousel. I really thought I would get on the carousel and go round and round, up and down, doing essentially the same things everyday for the rest of our lives. As I paused to get on the carousel, Marc gently took my hand and led me right past the carousel. He took me to the biggest, baddest rollercoaster ever created. All the while, he was saying this is going to be so much fun. I wasn't sure how much fun this rollercoaster would be. It did not take me long to realize this rollercoaster had the highest climbs, the deepest plunges and the worst loop-de-loops, even worse than anything at Great America.

We have shared the thrills of the births of three children. their baptisms, their high school graduations, two weddings, the birth of a granddaughter. We have ridden the slow climbs as there were successes in school and jobs.

For someone that did not know anything existed beyond the borders of Texas, this rollercoaster has loop-de-looped through not only Texas, but four other states and now one foreign country. No matter how scared I was to move to a new state or to do anything out of my comfort zone, which was very small, Marc was there laughing saying this is going to be so fun. And even though I doubted him, sometimes he was right

We plunged to the deepest depths when we lost our son and, in the aftermath of that tragedy as Nathan completely unraveled. It wasn't always ok, but Marc kept telling me it would be. We held onto each other for dear life as we reached those depths. I don't know how I would have survived some of that without Marc. Yes, those were deep dark days. We began another slow climb as we have watched Nathan transform from a lost, confused boy to a good husband and daddy and productive citizen of society. As we have seen Nicole try so very hard to make every decision in a way that is pleasing to God and will bring honor to His name. Realistically, as this rollercoaster continues on its path, I know we will have to make some plunges. I hope we never have to plunge to those depths again.

I would have gladly chosen the carousel. I would still be living on 76th street in Lubbock, Texas. Instead here I am driving around Honduras and trying to learn a new language. I have friends I would never have met. Except for those really deep plunges, it has been a great ride so far and I hope we just keep rollercoastering for many, many years.

Terri

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Happy Anniversary to the both of you. Let me tell you there will still be more plunges but also more roller coaster rides too and they get sweeter as the years roll by. I too have enjoyed the carosell ride but I am sure God will be happy with Marc and your rollercoasting and all the good you will have done and how you have touched so many you would have never known if you had just gone round and round all the time. Again many happy times to you and yours, and thanks for being so open and sharing the good along with the heartbreaks with us. linda Stegall

Anonymous said...

Well Happy Anniversary to the both of you. Let me tell you there will still be more plunges but also more roller coaster rides too and they get sweeter as the years roll by. I too have enjoyed the carosell ride but I am sure God will be happy with Marc and your rollercoasting and all the good you will have done and how you have touched so many you would have never known if you had just gone round and round all the time. Again many happy times to you and yours, and thanks for being so open and sharing the good along with the heartbreaks with us. linda Stegall

Heifer said...

Teri: Don't make me cry before I go to the grocery store!!! We love you two and think of you often. Have a good week. I need to start writing you, don't I?
luv ya! ol' Aunt Linda
P.S. Check out my blog, Larry's and Erica's.