Saturday, March 1, 2008

Absolutely Unbelievable











Early this morning, or late last night, depending on how you look at it, Matt and Nicole arrived in San Pedro Sula. They were the first ones off the plane and through immigration and customs. I was so glad to see them both. They left at 4:00 yesterday morning and were exhausted. Marc and I don't do midnight very often anymore and we were exhausted also. Everyone was ready to call it a day and we did not spend much time visiting. We got up early, ate breakfast, and headed home.


We were all enjoying each other's company. Riding along, visiting, sharing, just having fun. All of a sudden we saw the very worst village we have ever seen. I have seen one house here and there like these, but never had any of us seen a whole village with houses like these. Except for the dump people, I have not seen anything this bad and we have seen some really bad houses. We pulled off the road and I took pictures. We had nothing in the car to eat except one bag of unopened chips. We drove up to one house and discovered two people lived there, and had lived there two months. We gave them the chips. There was one house in which 5 people were living. There was not a one of us that could utter a sound. We have already arranged to get some food out there.


Last night in the motel room in San Pedro Sula, there was no hot water. And during the night, I got cold and there was not another blanket. I did not sleep well. After we left that village, I kept thinking how ungrateful I was. I had food, I had a bed in which to sleep, I had a blanket. How could a house made out of cardboard boxes or plastic keep anyone warm. Of course, there was no running water. I didn't get to go inside any of these houses, but I cannot imagine there were any beds. I am so spoiled, but I can't imagine how anyone survives a day living in those conditions, much less two months or more.


After we were once again on the road, we rode along in silence for quite some time. I do not know if I will ever get use to seeing things like this. I hope I don't. When I see it and it does not bother me and make we want to help these people, then it will definitely be time to do something else.


Terri








1 comment:

Ginger said...

Dear Terri,
I am glad Nicole and Matt arrived safely. I know you all feel tired.

After reading this last blog it occurred to me that you are confronting the problems instead of ignoring them like most people do. I am beginning to understand the big picture. Thousands endure a life of hunger in Honduras, don't they?
It reminds me of the saying, "seen and not heard". These people are seen daily and nobody ever stops to see what they can do to help them..It must have been a blessing to them to actually have strangers out of the blue, like you, stop and ask them if you could get help to them.
At least some of the thousands will be helped.
Do these people own the land that they have these houses on? I ask because it seems odd that so many people would just start a village in the middle of nowhere. This is so hard to comprehend.
I can't email. Too many irons in the fire. Maybe later I can explain.
God bless.Ginger