Friday, January 4, 2008

Welcome Back to Honduras

Other than my house not being finished and living in the dorm, it has been a welcome back to Honduras week. It has been windy, cold and rainy and we have been without electricity for two days. Last night we unloaded a container in the rain and dark. I was so cold and could not wait to get home into dry clothes. I didn't think a shower was possible because no electricity means no hot water. When we got to Santa Ana, we were so thankful to see lights. I got a shower and shortly thereafter, we lost electricity again. I always think of those who must work outdoors and get soaked and have no water and electricity to which to go home, that have gaping wholes in their walls, that have dirt floors that become mud floors in the rain. People that have no blankets. If they are cold, how do they ever sleep?

This morning we found a tree on the roof of Gayle's house and a broken water pipe that had drained two of the water tanks. We were scrambling to get the pipe fixed. The tree did get removed from the roof and I only hope the pipe is fixed. We discovered these two lovely things, as we were trying to load the truck to get started on a building project. At long last, a kindergarten class room is being built in Miredad Oriente, the upper part of Nuevo Oriental. We had to get people to the airport and the bus station and I had to get someone at the airport. I drove all over everywhere by myself and did very well. I had an errand to run and there was a wreck in front of the place where I needed to park. I went into the next block and parked. I was told I could not leave my car there. A security guard directed me to a place that would have surely been illegal in the states. He spoke no english and asked me how long I would be gone. In spanish I said 10 minutes and took off running. I am sure he got big laugh at the crazy gringo.

I did get to work on the kindergarten for a short bit. Two walls are up.

The electricity was off all day in Santa Ana so the pump could not work to pump water into our tanks. Water ran out at Casa de Esperanza. Hopefully, tomorrow will be back to normal with water and electricity.

1 comment:

Ginger said...

And I thought I had really had a difficult week!! I will keep my problems and be glad for them after reading this.

Love,
Ginger