Saturday, January 12, 2008

Water







One lady carrying buckets down to be filled. Two ladies carrying full buckets back to their homes.




Water, most of us take it for granted. Living in the United States, we think nothing about it. It is available whenever we want for whatever we want. We can get clean safe drinking water anytime of the day. We can, and do, take hot or cold showers daily, or more often if so desired. We use water to wash our dishes, clothes, pets, and cars, and to water our lawns. I guess the closest I have come to not having water, was when we moved to California in 1992 during a drought. We could not water our yards and had to plant drought resistant trees. When I first started coming to Honduras, I still had hot running water in which to take a shower. There is running water at Casa de Esperanza, my house, and the dorm. Not that I would drink the water from the tap for any reason. Most water in Honduras is not purified and makes Hondurans sick. It would surely make me sick. I never really thought about the difficulties of someone not having water. Even when I saw people bathing and washing their clothes in a river. Thousands of people in Honduras do not have running water. And for those that do, generally, the water just runs for two hours a day. People own huge water tanks and turn the water on and let it run for the whole two hours and collect it in their tanks. People save for years in order to have enough money to have running water in their homes, only to find out that does not include the piping that runs to their house. Those that have water, do not have hot water, not even warm water. In town a restaurant may have two faucets, but no water ever comes out of the hot side. There is only cold water availables, so water does not flow from the faucet marked hot.

Since I have been in Honduras full time, I have realized the difficulties for people not having water. There is the river, which usually involves a lengthy walk. The other day while we were building the kindergarten in Nuevo Oriental, the water truck came. There was a lot going on that day, with the building team and Magi boxes were being distributed. (Yes, they were for Christmas, but they were on that container that did not get here until January4.) The water truck drove into the village and began to honk. People dropped what they were doing and scattered in all directions. I dropped what I was doing and stood amazed at what was happening. People, young and old alike, were running to their homes and were returning with containers of all shapes and sizes, the biggest being 55 gallon drums. A water hose was connected to the truck and everyone began to fill their containers. The water truck waited until everyone that brought containers had filled them before leaving. I watched as people walked up the hills carrying their buckets, taking great care not to spill a single drop. A gallon of water weighs 8 pounds. This was a heavy load for most. The 55 gallon drums were filled with water, but left at the bottom of the hill. After people got their smaller containers home, they returned to take another load of water from the drums. I was not able to stay around and see how long it took to get all those drums emptied. The water those people took to their homes will have to suffice for 3 or 4 days as the water truck only comes twice a week. I still wonder how they bathe. I guess they still have to walk to the river. This time of year the rivers and streams are getting low and will get a lot lower before they start filling again.


These are some of the lucky ones; some villages don't have a water truck at all.

Terri

4 comments:

Ginger said...

Dear Terri,
Glad to read your blog but I think I will have to take an advil now after reading it because I am so sad. It is just not fair that people have to live without necessities of life. I cannot imagine how mothers bathe their babies and keep them clean with no water to wash them or themselves.


I will get back into sisterville again and email you a long email soon as I can.

You always say the things that I need to hear and it prompts me to not take things for granted. And to try my best not to be wasteful

I hope so much that God will bless all these unfortunate ones.

On a very encouraging note, I have 13 guests for lunch tomorrow and I have almost everything cooked and the house is clean. I have alarm set for 5 am to finish up. I plan to make a banana pudding before I go to church and I have to put 3 roast on with carrots and potatoes plus my ham.

But I made tons of stuff today and baked pecan pies and made cookies.

I hope to get connected with these people who are new in the church.
Sara and her kids are coming too. Paul will come later after youth group does small groups.

Tomorrow is Pearley's 61st birthday. The bananna pudding is his fave. He would rather have that than a frosted cake.

Keep serving God in like crazy in all those unhindered ways when any one else would find just serving in Honduras to be a hindrance but not you.

Signing off here.
Your faithful friend and prayer warrior.
Ginger

Anonymous said...

Terri,
I am still enjoying your thoughts. I knew that people had water in Nuevo Oriental but didn't realize it came in the water truck. It makes the fact that the Puperia let us use a water barrel to baptize folks in mean even more.
Praying for you,
Lanetta

Anonymous said...

Terri, myself and others are glad to see we can comment anonymously.
At church tonight, Linda Stegall was telling me how much she enjoys reading your blogs and had not been able to figure out how to comment. She said she looks forward everyday to your blogs and so do I. We are feeding 100 at church tomorrow for a funeral meal.The hot water heater has gone out, but thank you Lord, we do have water and don't have to carry it up a hill. We take so many things for granted. Your blogs help me to realize even more how blessed and how spoiled we really are. Life is so hard for those precious people, yet the ones we met are all so happy. You and Marc are definately a blessing to so many. We love you.......Sue

Anonymous said...

Sue called me this morning to say I could respond to your blogs. In case you get to thinking no one cares about what you write I want you to know it is one of the high spots in my day to read about your mission. I so admire you for the courage you and Marc have in doing that work, and just hearing about it is such a blessing to us. My girls keep up with it to and enjoy it very much, and it is a great deal of the conversation around the dinner table with me and my husband, I always have to tell him the latest about Don and Sues Kids. Linda Stegall