Saturday, January 26, 2008

Moving Home

A couple of years ago, after Casa de Esperanza was finished, a little duplex was built on this property. Rough, rustic, crude are few adjectives that come to mind to describe this duplex. One side was never finished inside. One side had one coat of stucco and then painted pink, blue and several other colors. Noel and Joanna lived in the partially finished side while Noel was the preacher here in Santa Ana. When we moved here, we lived in the unfinished side. Cinder block walls. When Noel and Joanna went back to Nicaragua, we decided to knock down the wall and finish the whole house. When we left for the states in December, work began. They, of course, began work on the empty side. All the paint had to be removed from the walls to get another layer of stucco on. They chipped holes in the paint about half inch apart and then after that I am not really sure how the paint was removed, but it took a long time. Then two layers of stucco. A beautiful arch was made in the adjoining wall. A tile was laid. Not really the tile, Marc and I picked out before we left, but that is ok. I still liked it a lot. They they moved everything from the side we had been living in to the other side to do all this work again and then some because the bathroom was enlarged. The first side was not complete when we returned from the states on January 1.

Then there was the problem with the unlevel floor. That took a lot of extra work and time. This
week we have seen an amazing amount of work accomplished down there. All work was complete today. Since we got some painting done last week, we were just a bit ahead. Marc and I sanded and painted all afternoon. I was energized knowing tomorrow night I would be in my home, in my bed. Appropriately, I had on a t-shirt that said "Extreme Home Makeover Honduras Edition". We still have a whole side and a bathroom to paint. But we can set the bed up in our bedroom tomorrow. I can start making this house our home. I can put out pictures of the kids, hang my grand canyon picture, use my new cabinets, have company, settle in at last.

My house is beautiful. Timoteo and his crew did a wonderful job. I now have a vanity in my bathroom. I think the vanity and the arch are the crown jewels. Everything is perfect except for one thing. The wrong tile was put on my vanity, but it is what it is.

I am so nasty and a shower will definitely help, but this would be a great night, for a hot bath. But that is not to be. No bathtubs here.

In just a couple of days I will have extra bedrooms. Anyone can come see us anytime you want.

Be it ever so humble, there is no place like home. And I am so ready to be in my new home.

Terri

1 comment:

Ginger said...

Hello,
So after countless delays you finally get to sleep in your bed tomorrow night..I am happy for you.
Planning to email you soon.
Love,
Ginger