Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Silence

This morning we woke up and found we had no water. How ironic is that? It was solved in a very short amount of time as one of the valves had been turned off.

I love the kids here and I love everything we do. But sometimes, most of the time, it is just so noisy around here. Today, the kids were going on an outing and I had so much paperwork to do. I declined the outing. Other than 3 of the Honduran ladies, I was the only one on the property. The silence was heavenly. It was a near perfect day, weather wise. I sat in the dorm with the front door open and worked away. I was working diligently and never once thought about what time it might be. Just a few minutes after 12:00, Dilcia walked in the dorm with a tray of food for lunch. She didn't have to bring me lunch, she just did. The people that work here just want to serve. It was a good meal. I was afraid I might have eaten too many cucumbers.

I continued to work after I ate. I accidentally deleted 20 pages of my work. I thought about crying. Instead I got busy retyping. Marc came in around 2:00 and we walked down to look at our house. It was suppose to be finished this week and, until today, we thought it might be. When we walked in, all of the workers were standing there in a shocked, sad silence. Not the golden silence, I enjoyed this morning. We knew it was bad news. They had begun to lay the tile and found the floor is higher on the side, on which they are currently working than the other side and one of the bedrooms is even higher. They had hammers and were going to start chipping away until the floor is level. After we left, I said to Marc I guess losing 20 pages isn't so bad after all. No telling when I will be in my house now. But it is what it is.

Tonight, on this mid-January night, with the stars brightly shining above us, and the temperature around 60, we walked up to the pupusa place and ate a pupusa. We then walked on to the bakery and Marc got a piece of cake for himself. It was a beautiful, peaceful, silent evening.

Terri

3 comments:

Ginger said...

Hey Terri,
This particular one was a good discussion because I was reminded of Dilcia's kindness and sweet ways. I like that young woman. Met her, you know and loved her right away.
Like I have said many times before you are just a sojourner on the journey of life and you've done it with such grace.

Very glad you had a chance to enjoy working but sorry to hear the mistake about the deleted pages and really sorry to hear about the unlevel floors which certainly sounds like a major delay. Speaking of which, I am delaying getting a kitchen cleaned up after Hurricane Maddie hit this place today.


Terri Cracker of a post...keem em' coming.
Your blog is a living organism. It's in a good mood most of the time. Always brimming with interests. Like people, blogs can't be perfect all the time but you need to know that you hold my interest and you should not grow discouraged and give up writing your story.

Your best blogs are the ones that come from the heart. When you blog as though nobody's reading.
I tend to visualize you every time I read one of those...I can just see your expression of disappointment when you saw your house today.

I guess I just gave a glance into my kitchen and realized my rambling needs to end here I guess.
You may not find any of this rambling worth your while since I have abandoned my first thoughts to go back to that kitchen and work.

I'm divided. Need to work. Too tired so I sit here putting it off.
You understand how life gets in the way of writing emails. Or is it how emails get in the way of life?
Love,
Ginger

Anonymous said...

It was a great story today. I like the way you make your disappointments seem so small compared to others problems. I need that gift. I understand the love of the quiet too. We have to have it. I will be waiting for your next comments. linda Stegall

Anonymous said...

Terri, I realize how insignificant it is to have holes in your walls, no carpet, and paper off the walls waiting to be textured and painted, all due to a ruptured water pipe in the walls. We, at least, have our own bed and all our stuff even though it's difficult to find with everything piled in all the other bedrooms. It is in the 20's here with blowing snow. We do long for those warm days and evenings like you all have. You always have a way of making your problems seem so trivial and you focus on the good. Hopefully, I can gain from your example. With love and prayers. Sue