Thursday, December 18, 2014

Karen's Despedido

Yesterday I had many errands to run.  Rarely do I leave Tegucigalpa until they are all done.  But, yesterday was an exception.  Karen's despedido (going away party) was yesterday and I was going to be back for it.  Due to December traffic, I was a few minutes late, but I made it.

The nice things said to Karen were all so true.  The children were crying.  The employees were crying.  I don't need much of a reason to cry so I joined in. 

Karen has been here 9 years.  She came before Casa de Esperanza even opened.  She helped build the place.  She was here when those first five children arrived in June, 2006.  She has seen kids come and go.  She has been the mommy and loved each and every one of the kids in a great big way.

I have been here seven years.  I did not go hand pick Karen to come down here and work in this children's home.  I did not know Karen until she decided to move down here.  I could not have hand picked a better person, though.  God knew that we would make a great team.  Her strengths enhanced my weaknesses.  My strengths enhanced her weaknesses.  On most issues, we thought alike.

We have laughed together.  Remember when Daniela went to the bathroom at the market.  We have cried together.  We have sat in the office holding hands and praying.  Sometimes praying for each child by name and sometimes for only one who was having a difficult time or making bad decisions.  We met at the hospital when we thought one of the kids would not make it.  Praise God the child lived. 

We have encouraged each other and we have been discouraged together.

I have seen Karen give of herself.  She has lived the life that was the greater example than any words she could have spoken.

I cannot imagine this place without her.  But, I do know God is in control and He will continue to lead us and provide for these children.

Today we met in the office for a few minutes.  We talked of personal things.  Of Casa things.  We held hands and prayed together for the very last time.  My voice could just barely speak the words that were on my heart.

It has been a privilege and an honor to work in the trenches, side by side with Karen.  We will miss her.  I wish her, Dorian and Korbin all the luck and all the happiness that God can bestow.


No comments: