Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Christmas With The Fitzgeralds

To share Christmas with Nicole's family, it always has to be before or after.  If I was going to cook, it had to be on day off.  That meant last night.  We did something very untraditional and had fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, green bean casserole and biscuits.  And making its first appearance at one of our meals was a red velvet cheesecake cake. 

I made the cake before I left here, but did not get it frosted.  I had wanted to leave here at 2:00, but that did not happen.  I was loading the car, when Haley called and said Grammy I am on my way from school to help you.  All I wanted was to get to Nicole's house and get the girls' presents under the tree before they got home.  I managed to do that.  Then I unloaded the car. 

I peeled the potatoes and got them on to boil.  Haley had to do her homework before she could cook.  Haley was working on homework and she said look Grammy.  I thought she wanted me to see her homework.  I looked.   Emma was sitting there opening the presents.  As soon as Haley finished the homework, we made the frosting for the cake.  Then I began to show her how to batter the chicken.

She never minds getting right in there and getting her hands messy.






Everyone was cooking and talking and laughing.  We had so much fun.  In addition to being the chicken batterer, Haley helped Nicole and Emma make cookies.





Emma had several important jobs.  Tasting the cookies, tasting the mashed potatoes, and watching TV.







It has been so long since I fried chicken and made gravy.  It was so good.  After a couple of bites, Nicole said I think we have a new Christmas tradition.  Fried chicken.

We decided to have cake after the presents.  Nicole wanted me to have mine first.  We nearly always let the girls have theirs first.  I thought that was strange.  I was so excited when I saw it.

A world series shirt.  Yay Giants.








Two little girls sat watching in eager anticipation.  I picked up one present for Emmy and one for Haley.

Emma got a Hello Kitty Doll
and Haley got a giant art set.  Both girls were very pleased with these gifts.

Next Nicole gave the girls a gift from her and Matt.  World Series shirts for both girls.  Matt and Nicole are teaching those girls to cheer for the right team.  Emma had to put hers on immediately.  Nicole wanted to take a picture of the three of us, but Emma was way too busy with Hello Kitty for a picture.


Nicole began opening the art set and I began to try to unbind Hello Kitty.  Hello Kitty was not intended to ever be released.  As I diligently worked on unbinding her, Emma was beside me jumping up and down saying, " Emma Hello Kitty.  Emma Hello Kitty.  At last Hello Kitty was free.






A 1500 piece art set that had sticker, markers and all sorts of stuff, Haley wants to try the paints first.  Nicole was not wanting paint out that late on a school night, but she said ok because it was her Christmas present and who wants to be told no when it is a Christmas present.






There were still two presents remaining to be opened.  Both presents were for both girls, some blocks and some candy. 



The candy did have to wait until today.

Then it was time to have dessert.  Emma is two and has not quite learned the concept of this sharing thing.  But, she loves Hello Kitty so much that she shared her red velvet cheesecake cake with Hello Kitty.

By the time the cake was gone, Hello Kitty looked like she was bleeding from her mouth and her nose and other facial features.

I am so thankful that I could share this time with Matt and Nicole and their little girls.













No comments: