Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Rain

The rainy season is here.  I know many of my friends in many parts of the States wish they could say the same thing.  You need the rain.  And we needed the rain.  It gets so hot and dry in the dry season.  Right now in the early part of rainy season, it is not so bad.  Afternoon or evening showers.  They are usually hard showers, sometimes dumping an inch of rain in thirty minutes.  Once last year about this time of year, we had 5 inches in 45 minutes.  Thankfully, that does not happen often.

It just finished raining a hard shower.  I had a cd in my computer and, as I sat at the computer with the speakers turned up as loud as they would go, I could not hear a single word of music.  Only the rain pounding away.  When this happens, we always lose internet for a while, and sometimes the electricity, too.

As the rain fell sounding like a jackhammer on my roof, all I could think about was the three families that got houses last week and the two families the week before.  And then I thought of all the people that don't have houses.  They and everything they own are soaked right now.  Sometimes it rains so hard my house leaks.  I cannot even imagine how much water a house takes on when it is not tight.  When it is made of cardboard.  Or has gaping holes in every wall.  It has stopped raining for now.  Maybe not for the night, but for now.  Those people will not be dry or warm the rest of the night.  Their kids will be cold and wet.  How do they sleep when they are wet and cold and when the bed is wet?  I don't know the answer. 

I am thankful for the rain.  I am thankful for my dry house and dry bed.  I am thankful that before the end of the summer, even more families will have a house and stay dry as the rain falls.

Terri

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know I am so far from even imagining how it would be to be wet and cold. As hot as the summers are here sometimes in my den with the fan is on I am cold and to be wet I cannot imagine how miserable that would be. God bless you and Mark for being able to do something about helping the situation. linda