Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Helpers

Three years ago, when Karen and I opened the store, we tried to buy and price and do everything together.  It was a lot of fun to do those things together.  Over time, we both have become busier and busier and finding time to do it together is almost impossible.  Sometimes, I do it by myself.  Sometimes Karen does it.  Stacey did a lot of it when she was here.  When my friends are here I don't mind asking them to price inventory or trim the tags or whatever needs to be done.  My friends are awesome and usually help me.

As I think about these kids living here and having three meals a day and a warm place to sleep, school uniforms and supplies and many other things as well,  I began to see a whole work force.  I am training Brayan to work in the store with me on the days groups are here.  He is not very fast with math, but understands how to use the calculator well.  He is learning to write tickets and all kinds of things.  After he is trained well, I will train Ana.

Yesterday, I came home with more things and Brayan was at the car asking if he could help.  He helped me unload the car.  We then sorted and priced a few things.  Brayan worked diligently and did exactly what I asked him to do.  Ana came and helped for a short while.  The noise of others playing quickly distracted her and she left to see what has happening out there.
 
Last week, while I was gone, Karen and some of the kids priced t-shirts.  T-shirts is one thing, but all that pottery is another.  There was no school this morning and I told Karen to select the ones to help me.  Brayan was the first one to come.  We began by unwrapping the pottery and stacking it.  Brayan worked all morning without one word of complaining.  Soon after Jose and Adonis joined us.  I asked them to start folding the newspaper we were taking off of the pottery.  A boring job, but it had to be done.  Jose did not stay long.  Adonis stayed much longer than I thought he would.
Brayan unpacking

After Jose left, Sisi came in and worked hard on folding the newspaper.  Pamela and Cindy soon joined the group and began pricing some of the items.  I was also fortunate to have an intern join this group.  Garrett may not have thought he was fortunate today.  He was not feeling well and could not go with the group today.
Adonis and Sisi folding newspaper
Pamela and Cindy pricing

After Sisi had all the newspaper folded, we began to unwrap pottery as well.  She didn't stack quite like I would have liked, but only one little piece got broken.  Brayan folded his newpaper as he finished each box.  I like that.

Soon everyone was pricing something.  With that many helpers, we got nearly everything done this morning.  I thought we would work a couple of hours and stop and probably still have a lot more to do.  I was delightfully surprised at how little there is left.  Sisi started playing in a box and turned herself over too close to another box full of pottery.  Nothing broke, but she was asked to leave and Ana joined us.

A group will be visiting later this afternoon.  Brayan, Cindy, and Ana helped ready the store and Garrett artistically arranged some of the new items.

I was proud of how well the kids worked this morning.  I am still thinking through some things.  I don't believe they should be paid for everything they do here at Casa.  The profit from that store helps buy their food and pay the electricity bill.  But maybe for those that work so hard they should be rewarded with a coke or something.  That probably won't happen every time.

As I dream, I dream that someday they can go price the product without me being there to supervise.  Maybe they can do that with t-shirts.  I don't know how much I can ever trust them with the pottery.  And with the kids helping, I am moving the pricing out of my house.  That is a very good thing.

Terri

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep dreaming. I think you have the right idea. Learning to work well will be a good skill for them to learn. It might be more work for you but it will pay off for the children. I so admire you thinking in every situation how you can help the children. I can tell you so love every little soul. linda