Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Lake Meredith

I grew up in a little town in the Texas panhandle, 50 miles northeast of Amarillo.  In the early 60's the talk of the town, and many other towns, was the dam and lake that was being built.  My dad would take us out there and to watch the construction.  For a five or six year old, it was pretty fascinating.  In 1965, the lake was filled.  

Lake Meredith began to supply water for 11 cities and became a recreation area for many.  There were many days of skiing and swimming and hanging out with friends.  The record high of 101 feet was in 1973, just at the time I was having so much fun at that lake.

Being on the far western edge of the central time zone and with daylight savings, it stays daylight until way after 9:00 this time of year.  About 7:30, we decided to drive out there.  I knew it was much lower than those grand old days.

Right now the lake is just below 37 feet.  It has declined since that record high in 1973.  There has many drought years and two more dams built further north on the Canadian River.
At one time, this lake was nearly full.

 
I really was not prepared for what I saw.  It was sad.  It was more than sad.  Sometimes finding the right words is hard.  I was in shock and reliving the happy memories of the past, knowing they were not to be for other people.  I was also trying to keep Camille from going off the cliff.  I sat her on a picnic table and stayed with her, not venturing any closer to the edge than I allowed her to go.  Camille sat there saying," it is so beautiful.  I love it here."  It thrilled my soul that a place of which I have such fond memories, she thought to be beautiful also.  If only she had seen the full beauty.  But we saw a glorious sunset reflecting on what little water is left. 

We drove around into Cedar Canyon and Sanford Yake.  Harbor Bay is dry.  There was a graveyard of boats littering the sides of the roads.  The boat ramps are closed.  It was definitely the end of an era for me.  Thankfully, I do have wonderful memories.

Terri

No comments: