Monday, May 3, 2010

Funnies From The Kids

Seventeen children living in a house certainly keeps everyone on their toes. Sometimes things are very stressful. Sometimes we have good days and bad days. We have fun. We do homework. And sometimes things get downright funny. Three things that were said today:

This morning Maryuri was worried about the chickens and wondering if they had been fed. I told her they had. She said what about water? I said I think the water is ok, too. She walked over to the chicken coop and says "quiere agua?" which means you want water. Strangely enough none of the chickens answered her.

After nap and homework Ana and a couple of the boys cleaned the chicken coop. Tonight after supper, no one could find the brand new brooms. We looked and looked. I went to ask Ana what she cleaned the chicken coop with and she proudly answered "the new brooms." Dilcia said it was ok, the old brooms could be used tonight and she would clean the new ones in the pila tomorrow. All I could think was "Yuck."

During shower time, Cindy came out and gave me a baby hairbrush and what I thought was baby lotion. She told me it was for Josue. I went and asked Dilma if she wanted we to shower Josue. She said no, Cindy had tried to give those things to her as well. I looked down at the bottle and it said liquid baby powder with cornstarch. Goes on like lotion and dries fast to a powder. I began to try to explain what it was. I did not know the words in spanish for powder or cornstarch. I did a pretty good job of explaining, I thought. Dilcia and Dilma both broke into laughter. My spanish sometimes still entertains Hondurans. I quickly discovered that I had done a pretty good job of explaining and they were not laughing at me. They were laughing because Cindy had put this stuff in her hair.

You can just imagine there is never a dull moment around here.

Terri

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nope, never a dull moment !

I am off to nursing home ministry.

Anonymous said...

Well I have had my fun for the morning. No little children here today so it is always good to hear from the Casa. linda