Thursday, January 28, 2010

Sisters

A young wife sat on a sofa on a hot humid day drinking iced tea and visiting with her mother. As they talked about life, about marriage, about the responsibilites of life, about the obligations of adulthood, the mother clinked the ice cubes in her glass thoughtfully and turned a clear, sober glance upon her daughter.

"Don't forget your sisters," she advised as she swirled the tea leaves to the bottom of her glass. "They will be more important as you grow older. No matter how much you love your husband, no matter how much you love the children you may have, you are still going to need Sisters. Remember to go places with them now and then, do things with them."

"Remember that Sisters mean ALL the women in your life... your girlfriends, your daughters, all your women relatives, too. You'll need other women. Women always do."

What a funny piece of advice, the young woman thought. Haven't I just gotten married? Haven't I just joined the couple-world? I'm now a married woman, for goodness sake. A grown-up! Surely my husband and the family we may start will be all I need to make my life worthwhile.

But she listened to her mother. She kept contact with her Sisters and made more women friends each year. As the years tumbled by, one after another, she gradually came to understand that her mom really knew what she was talking about. As time and nature work their changes and their mysteries upon a woman, Sisters are the mainstays of her life.

I am truly blessed to have many Sisters.

Last night we were in Wheeler, Texas for church. I went to the ladies class. I could immediately tell I was among Sisters. The things they shared with each other. The way they prayed. I could tell they had done life together. I was both humbled and blessed to be among such a group. They showed the true meaning of being Sisters.

Terri

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We do need those sisters!!

Be careful on your travels! Love ya'll!

Linda W