Monday, January 18, 2010

Back In The Good Ol' USA

Marc and I landed in New Orleans late Thursday night. Nicole and Haley Grace were waiting on us. I was so glad to see them. Once we got to Baton Rouge, every one was ready to fall in bed. We enjoyed the next day with Nicole, Haley and Matt. I love watching my baby with her baby.

Of course, I have already hit Sonic and Wal-Mart once. I need to go to Wal-Mart again and plan to do so today. I am just loving being with family and visiting churches.

It is a long way from Baton Rouge to Borger, Texas. It is 810 miles to be exact and slightly over 13 hours. That is if you don't stop very often and we did not stop very often. It was a long day on Saturday.

There are things we take for granted in the U.S. that are not available in Honduras. Here are some little things I appreciated Saturday as we drove. We drove for 13+ hours on four lane roads. That means we didn't get behind a slow vehicle going 20 miles an hour or less and be stuck there for hours because there is so much traffic in the other lane, making it impossible to pass. We could come up on that slow vehicle and pass it. We did not have to worry about dodging pot holes. In fact, I dont' think we saw even one pothole. We thought we were dreaming, driving for thirteen hours on four lane highways and not seeing potholes. A very pleasant dream.

We were not afraid to drive after dark. There were gas stations and convenience stores every few miles at which we could have stopped if we had desired. The few places we did choose to stop, we could enter with confidence that the restrooms would be not only clean, but stocked with toilet paper. And paper towels.

And how I am loving washing my hands and face in warm water. And knowing I can drink from almost and faucet.

Warm water, toilet paper, paper towels and no potholes are all wonderful things. But the things I love best about being back are hugs from family and friends and the sweet fellowship we are enjoying.

Terri

No comments: