Sunday, January 10, 2010

Run Aways

Sunday mornings at Casa de Esperanza are a bit chaotic. We start at 7:00 and since church does not start until 9:30, that gives us plenty of time to get everything done.

The girls get up and start putting on church clothes. And then they start changing clothes. And then they change again. Some things they want to wear are too small or too big or have a hole in the knee. Some things they put on, they decide to change. And then there is all that hair that has to be done. Some of the girls can do their own hair and some can help the younger ones.

I went in at 7:00 and woke the girls. I looked in the boys' room and saw movement. I did not see all the boys, but assumed the others were in the bathroom. I was quite busy with the girls. At some point in time, I think around 7:30, it was discovered two of the boys, Brayan and Jackson, were not in the house. They had left. Everyone in the house went into full panic mode.
I just thought a typical Sunday morning was chaotic.

A neighbor called one of our employees and said two of our kids were on the bus to town with her. After a series of exchanging phone numbers and such, Marc went into action. He called Luis and told him to get to Loarque as fast as he could. He called the neighbor on the bus and told her to tell the driver to make the kids get off at Loarque. Marc left for Loarque at break neck speed. I think the kids thought they had made a clean get away and all the while several people were tag-teaming down the mountain.

Brayan and Jackson get off the bus at Loarque and there stands Luis. Oh no. Marc shows up shortly. Marc scared them to death. Marc's only intention was to bring them back to Casa, but he told them he was taking them to Casitas Kennedy. Jackson cried.

Marc was nicer than I think I would have been. He bought each one an apple. I think I would have let them miss breakfast. Some of us missed our breakfast.

I was trying to keep things inside the house as normal as possible. The kids wanted to go outside and look for Brayan and Jackson. We knew where they were. Looking for them on the property was pointless.

The girls' room looked like a tornado blew through. I told them to pick all those clothes up off the floor. Every one began to say "not my clothes." I told them I did not care whose clothes they were, they had to be picked up. Either they could do it or I would and if I did, they would become my clothes and go to my house. Daniella's eyes got as big as plates. There was a rushing and scurrying from those girls that I did not know existed. The clothes were back on hangers and in drawers quickly.

Marc returned with the run-aways. They both have a couple of bags with them. Brayan had one pair of jeans. Other than that the bags were packed with everything for a successful runaway. Toys. No food. No clothes. No money.

It has already been a long day. When Sandra left, I told her I would see her tomorrow. I wanted to say that is if I don't run away.

Terri

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

O Terri, I can't imagine the horror. Yes, I am afraid Marc was nicer than I would have been. So glad they are back safely.

Anonymous said...

Ready for a vacation?? :) Karen and Dorian are in Columbus...ready to return to warmer weather! Pack your bags! :) Sharon Mc

Anonymous said...

All I can say is, Praise God for the neighbor that let you know where they were!!!! I know it was still terrifying. You can "run away" soon! :) love you, Janet

TREY MORGAN said...

Many prayers.

Kim said...

So very thankful God protected Jackson and Brayan. Hopefully they will not be going on anymore adventures anytime soon. We pray for you all daily.