Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Fried Chicken Day At The Dump

Some of the many boxes of chicken

The long line waiting for a piece of chicken

Enjoying fruit juice and chicken

Working the garbage



Today, being Wednesday, meant it was time to feed hungry people at the dump again. Our friends from Atlanta wanted to do more than just give bologna sandwiches. We still did the sandwiches, but we also took 325 pieces of Church's fried chicken. Instead of water, we took twelve ounce cans of fruit drink. And for the kids, there were cookies.


The group made sandwiches while Marc went to town and ordered the chicken. While he was waiting on that much chicken to fry, he bought the drinks and cookies. Shortly, after 10:00, the people on the bus, the people in my car, Milton and Luis all arrived at Church's where Marc was still waiting on the chicken. Some of the group jumped off the bus and had Dunkin' Donuts while waiting.


Sometimes I wonder what Hondurans think of Gringos that come in and order 325 pieces of chicken at 9:00 in the morning and then start taking pictures of it.


We finally headed for the dump much later than we originally thought we would. Welcome to Honduras. Unknown to me, last week Marc told some people there would be fried chicken this week. When we got there and got out of the cars, people began running toward us and yelling chicken. I was wondering how they knew before they got to the truck.


Everyone lined up and waited, which has not been the case the last few weeks. The chicken was a huge success. Each person got a sandwich, one piece of chicken and a drink. Many just plopped down on the ground and began to eat. The cookies also brought big smiles to many faces.


Back in Decmeber, when the group from Tupelo came to hand out Christmas boxes in the dump, I saw two little girls. I wanted to rescue those little girls from the dump and bring them to Casa de Esperanza. I have not seen those little girls since. Until today. They are still filthy and hungry and still need rescued.


After all the food and drinks were gone, we walked closer to the garbage piles where people were working. Every bag of garbage was emptied and thoroughly searched. Every plastic bottle was removed and placed in a pile. Anything that could be recycled or reused was kept. Some were searching for food and keeping any little scrap they could find.


Some of the boys brought a soccer ball and began playing with some of the children. When it was time to leave, they chose to leave the soccer ball with the kids with whom they had been playing.


As we loaded into the vehicles, there was not a dry eye. We go to the dump every week, but something unexplainable and different happened out there today.


Fried chicken, fruit juice and cookies may not be the typical Easter or passover meal, but what joy it brought to starving people today.
Terri








4 comments:

Ginger said...

Dear Terri and friends who care so much that they sacrificially give to feed others. I praise you and thank you for easing the pain of poverty and making a difference.
God has been good to bring these folks to help. I am so grateful that there are kind, caring, generous Christians to help you with all the work and all the needs.
I confess I would have a hard time adjusting to the picture you have painted at the dump. I try to put myself in your shoes and the shoes of those living at the dump and it is an emotional feeling that cannot be described. Trying to imagine the need if it were me living there at the dump or me living there feeding the dump.
Seeing so many of you trying to fill their needs has been a blessing to read about. I cannot believe I make a mountain out of a mole hill every single day in my life if have been treated bad or think I have been slighted by friends or feel I have to worry about economic situations when these people are literally starving and have no place to go but the dump. I can only faithfully support you guys in prayers but I do sincerely pray for you all daily. I regret is that I cannot do more.

As frustrating as it must be for all of you now. The rewards will be great when God says, Well done good and faithful servent". God continues to do so much through you and others like you. God is surely in your midst.

What inspiring stories you write.
love, Ginger

Anonymous said...

You know I think of how much good you guys are doing feeding the starving and being a blessing to so many there but actually you are a big help to us here at home. Without your vivid stories we would rest on our laurals just being as selfish as always with out even a twinge of guilt. I am sure none of us do as much as we could but at least there is that picture in our mind every time we do those selfish acts that portray all of us as American citizens. Thanks for keeping us up with the good that is being done there and each time I read something as heartwrenching as the blog today I have a new attitude of prayer but with our abundance it slips away far too soon so we need to keep being reminded of the conditions so many are forced to live under. We do love and appreciate all you are doing in the name of our God in Heaven. linda

Anita said...

I wish I could have been there helping. Keep up the good work and thanks for all you do.
Love Anita

Anonymous said...

This is the greatest blessing I have had since we were there!!!!! Thank you so much for all you do. There is a little boy down there that I have had on my heart. I can just see his precious little face. I would love to rescue him. God is working in that Dump, and he is using you great people Again, thank you!!!!!! jl