Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Rudy

We had some friends in town from San Pedro Sula and could not make things work to meet them yesterday. We decided we would meet them at Wendy's for breakfast before they left town. Marc had to take Pamela to the dentist and Andrea and I had a bunch of errands to run in town. I picked Andrea up before 7:00 and Marc left with Pamela.

We got to Wendy's and were busy visiting with our friends. I ate my hashbrowns and was kind of full. I ate a couple of bites of my egg and cheese sandwich and then rewrapped it. I handed it to Andrea and told her to be on the lookout for a hungry kid to which we could give the sandwich.

We were leaving a store a couple of blocks off of Morazon and I saw Rudy on the handlebars of a bicycle. He saw me, too. I waved and he called my name. I looked in the rearview mirror and saw him jumping off the handlebars. I stopped in the middle of the street and he walked back to my car. I rolled the window all the way down and reached out and hugged him.

Rudy was dirty and had no smile. I asked if he was hungry and gave him the sandwich. We talked a few minutes and he asked about Brayan, his brother. Last time Marc saw him he did not want to talk and would not let Marc buy him any food. He did not ask about anyone.

I could only sit in the middle of the street and talk until another car drove up behind me. I told him good-bye. As I drove off Rudy was standing eating the sandwich.

I still pray for this little guy and still wonder why he chooses to live on the streets instead of a nice home. Some things you just never understand.

Terri

2 comments:

Ginger said...

Rudy was blessed today. He can't help but regret not having love and care on a daily basis. I am glad you know he is alive at least.

It must rip your heart out. So many emotions you feel everyday. I do NOT know how you do it. But I am glad you do.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for relating the meeting with Rudy. I still think of him as that was a thing that touched my heart most. I guess we just never know what makes people tick. It must have hurt your heart much to drive off and leave him standing. You never know what kind of situation you will be put in the next minute do you? I admire your ablility to deal with those things and I know it is very pleasing to our Father. I guess you have to recognize you can only do what some will allow you to do for them. My heart bleeds because of these situations but we are so thankful to have someone who is willing and able to do what they can to make things better. linda