Friday, December 26, 2008

Family

When we would travel from Memphis, California, or Columbus for Christmas, and after the shopping was done, the presents wrapped, and the car packed as full as it could be, there was always excitement and anticipation as we headed to Texas for Christmas. For me at least that excitement and anticipation existed. I am not sure it did for the kids. I thought about that song "Home for the Holidays". Phrases of the song would run through my head all day as we made our way. Phrases like "gee the traffic is terrific" and from "Atlantic to Pacific".

When we stopped for gas or food, I enjoyed seeing other families with the cars loaded and catching small pieces of conversation here and there like "when we get to grandma's...." or "I can't wait to get there."

I felt that excitement somewhat when we left Topeka on Monday and headed for Texas. I felt it more on Tuesday night as Nathan and Julia and sweet Camille left Little Rock. And today I feel it again as Matt and Nicole are driving from Baton Rouge. I don't know if my kids felt that excitement as they traveled to be with family. I hope they did and not just the drudgery of having to drive a long way.

We are blessed to be able to spend time with both my family and Marc's family, and, of course, our kids and their families.

Whether or not your Christmas is over or you are still Christmasing like we are, I hope you take the time to enjoy the blessing of family. And if you have to travel, be safe.

Terri

1 comment:

Ginger said...

Hey Terri you sound so nostalgic.
You marshmellow you. Such a soft big heart. I am not one for mush, but deep down, I am very soft too.

Everything I remember about traveling is like that...better to anticipate than it actually is...except heaven which we don't anticipate enough.

You always brighten my day when I check in.
Ginger