Saturday, November 15, 2008

Dependence

Dependence. We usually have bad feelings when we say or hear that word. We don't want to be drug dependent or alcohol dependent. We don't want our adult kids being dependent on us still. Most of us do not want to be dependent on anyone or anything.

Basically, I am a pretty independent person. I can do for myself, and in most instances, would prefer to do so.

I know I was tired and needed some rest. I really was going to slow down and get some rest. Maybe when I got home from Illinois. Maybe after Thanksgiving. Or Christmas. Or maybe before the groups start arriving next summer. But I was going to slow down and rest. But it wasn't going to be this week, because I had to much to do.

Because I have had no choice, I have slowed down and rested this week. It wasn't my plan, but that is the way it happened. Now that I am feeling a little better, I am going crazy as Marc tells me about the progress on the cottage. The electricity was been wired in the cottage and in my store. Well, there is not too much I can do about that right now. I have no pictures of the wiring going in. The floor is being installed. I was suppose to get to pick out the flooring. I may not even get home in time to paint. Those things I was bound and determined to do.

As I have rested, I have reflected. I have reflected on how badly I needed rest and why didn't I choose to slow and rest rather than being forced to rest. I have reflected on the fact that I don't really like being dependent. Dependent on someone else to take care of me. Don't get me wrong, I am being taken care of as if I was royalty.

But dependent is just what God wants us to be. Dependent on Him for our every need, for our every breath. How many times have I not been dependent on Him as I rush through things that need to be done. Not slowing down and depending on Him to give me an opportunity to share His love to someone. Not taking the time to rest, physically and spiritually, being dependent on Him to provide that rest and peace I so desperately need.

I hope it does not take minor surgery and waiting on results to slow you down, make you rest and become dependent. I hope you all just start being dependent on the God of all peace and rest.

Have a restful and dependent weekend.

Terri

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How like you to find a devotional in resting! Thanks for the reminder. I am praying for good results and a safe trip back to Honduras. God bless!
Suzan

Anonymous said...

I hope you will be rested and ready to meet the challanges that greet you in Honduras when you return. I pray your test will be good. I have been there and it is not a fun thing to go thru and wait on the results but you have so many praying for you. I know you miss being in the middle of all the things that are transpiring at home. We are missing our first hand report on them but maby there will be lots of photos and news when you do get home. linda

Anita said...

Terri,
You are in my prayers!
Love Anita

Ginger said...

hello Terri,
Makes good sense to me but sometimes you and I have to be hit over the head with a two by four before we actually get the point to slow down.

Rest well. Enjoy the days and do what is necessary to get back to your nomral health.

Everything will be right there when you get back.

What is important is that Terri Tindall gets well.

Love,
Ginger