Friday, February 15, 2008

House Number Three

It has been a very long day. Yesterday, nearly everything went right and today, not nearly that many things went right. We thought we would get two more houses built. We arrived on the job site before 9:00. The first house we were to build today was 21' x 21', which is a lot larger that what we normally build. The lot was measured and marked. Digging began on the holes for the corner posts. Measure, fill in some of the holes and dig new ones, measure, set a couple of posts, measure, take out a couple of posts, measure. This went on and on. Finally, the corner posts were set and were square. We started building the walls shortly after noon. They walls went up fairly quickly without too many delays. After beginning the roof, because of the larger size, we discovered we were one roof beam short causing another long delay. During that delay, the tin was put on the two houses that were built yesterday.

During those long delays, we had opportunity to visit and play with the ever increasing number of children. A group of little girls, most of whom were 8, 9, and 10, asked me how old I was. I honestly told them and then said mucho viejo (very old) causing gales of laughter. They could not even sit there with me. They all ran off laughing. I guess 8, 9, and 10 year old little girls are the same in any country, in any language.

Other exciting things were happening. After the tin was put on the house, two houses were finished. One family was sweeping and cleaning and getting ready to move in and make the house a home. One family began moving their stuff. It was exciting to us, it was exciting to the families and it was exciting to the neighbors.

Using a hammer is not one of my talents. I do not do it often because I slow down everyone else on the job site. Today I hammered and hammered. I hope I can get out of bed in the morning. I am already feeling a lot or soreness.

We began packing the truck shortly after 5:00. House number three is not finished and house four is not even started. Some days are like that. We will be back early in the morning. This house will not take long to finish in the morning. And hopefully, we will get houses four and five built tomorrow as well.

Terrj

2 comments:

Ginger said...

This Warms The Heart……….. Ginger

Anonymous said...

How exciting to fine another entry today in your blog. I always check just to be sure. I know you do not always have time to report the goings on but rest assured I love to read about your endeavors. I am sure children are children every where. That is what I would enjoy so much is talking to the little ones. We are very proud to hear of all the good you do there and the little events that happen with the people. We do appreciate what you are doing and continue to remember your work and your well being in our prayers. I loved the entry about the birds as well as every single entry you make. My devotional time had just been about how God takes care of the birds and how much more us. linda Stegall