Thursday, February 7, 2008

Five Homes




Last week I wrote about the fire season and the terrible losses that might be suffered in the next few months. About the time I wrote that, a raging fire was blazing in Tegucigalpa, with five houses and everything that was in them being burnt completely to the ground. No thing survived. Fortunately, no person perished. There are more than forty people without a place to live. Four families were living in one of the houses. The mayor called and asked if there was anyway we could rebuild for these families. Marc put out a plea for help and many people pledged money to help rebuild these five houses. Not just houses, but homes.


We met the mayor today at the site where the fire happened and where the homes will be rebuilt and to assess what we needed to do. There was nothing left. Nothing. The ground was as black as black could be. Houses that were still standing had charred sides from the fire. The houses remaining were certainly not the worst we have seen, but certainly not the best either.
The lot on which 5 new homes will be built is small. Many of the people that are displaced were there today. There was a lot of smiles as the mayor told them construction would begin one week from today. I was crying as were some of the people that will soon have new homes.
The top picture is a of a little girl talking to the mayor. She is wiping her eye. She is crying because she wants her house. She cried and cried. I had a piece of fried chicken in the car since I did not eat all of my lunch. I got to share with her. A piece of chicken and a piece of bread doesn't really take the place of a house, but she did stop crying and looked up at me with the most angelic eyes as she said gracias.
The other picture is some of the people for whom new homes will be built. Marc, the mayor, and our friend Maurio are also in the picture. My little friend is standing on the front row. She has on a yellow shirt and is holding the bag with the chicken and the bread.
This was a terrible tragedy and Iam thankful there was no loss of life.
Terri

1 comment:

Ginger said...

:(
so glad your hearts are open to these needs or else what would become of these folks?

I am praying there will be no more fires and no more innocent children seeing their homes burn down.

Tragedy indeed. But feel they are blessed with no loss of life.

Thanks for sharing these pictures.

I wondered why you didn't email me today? Now I am sure it is due to being drained emotionally today.

You remind me of Sargeant Friday.
He use to say, "Just stating the facts, Mam'

This is more difficult than watching reality tv.
love,
Ginger