Friday, October 7, 2011

Teleton

For over two years, we have had Doris, Reina, and Maryuri in Teleton.  I can see the number of people needing help and the number of people working and I know they are severely understaffed.  Most months, our girls have one 30 minute appointment per month.  When I consider how long it takes to get there and how long it takes it get back, I have often wondered if it was worth it.  Once in a while, the teacher will take all three for an hour and a half.  I do feel like that is worth it. I can look around and see little children learning to walk and I know others are being helped, but not sure if ours are.

Now Teleton wants to start seeing the girls once a week.  This has got to be an improvement in helping them.  It is not easy to get a child in Teleton.  Reina, the employee, has been to Teleton several times to get two more enrolled.  Guadalupe has started Teleton for speech therapy ( and believe me, she needs it), and Fernando has started for dyslexia.  Nicole felt sure after today's appointment, Fernando would be helped.

We now have five children in Teleton, with at least some of them going every week.   We hope this really helps the children and that it is not just a huge burden to us.  Nicole has taken over the Teleton responsibilities, doing both the driving and overseeing all their homework.  I can say I am very thankful for that.

Terri

No comments: