Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Nohemy

Every one of us at Casa love every single one of the kids, but if we were all perfectly honest, I think we would all admit there is one or two kids to which we are slightly partial.  For me that would be Nohemy (pronounced No-Amy, with the accent on the MY). 

Nohemy came to live at Casa in November, 2009, almost two years ago.  I went with Karen to get her and Josue.  I fell in love with her the second I saw her.  She was five years old at the time and was scared to death.  She had lived at Casitas Kennedy for seven months and before that had lived in the extremest of poverty.  Josue was nearly dead from starvation when IHNFA took them.  Most of her rotten little teeth had been pulled.  She was so scared and confused.  

After we got to Casa, everyone was making over the new baby (Josue) and we were beginning sign language classes with Manos Felices.  There was a lot going on and Nohemy was overwhelmed.  She looked around at all that was going on and began to cry.  Karen and I took her to show her her room and bed and new clothes.  Casitas always sends any belongings the children may have.  Nohemy and Josue came with clothes on their backs.  She smiled her toothless grin, but still wasn't too sure.  She cried a lot those first few days.  My heart broke every time she did. 

In late December, she let out a cry from the depths of her soul saying "Mommy."   And I knew she wasn't talking to any of us. 

I have watched this little girl over the last two years and I love her more every day.  She often calls me mommy now.  I like that.  One time her mother was really late to visitation.  I didn't know this as I had taken the other kids to visitation in Sabana Grande and I had not had a chance to talk to Karen after we all returned.  She walked up to me and said your my mommy.  When I found out about her mother being late, I was deeply touched.
 Sometimes she even acts a little jealous if someone else calls me Mommy.  She says in a bossy, gruff voice, "no, that is my mommy."

Yesterday I had a very long, very productive office day.  I got up to do something in another room and I heard Marc's voice some where on campus.  I was glad he was back.  I sat down at the computer again and saw I had a new email.  The email had horrible, horrible news about some of our good friends.  I jumped up and was screaming and crying and ran for the front door to find Marc.  By this time, Marc was nearly at the front door.  I was sobbing and screaming and trying to tell Marc what had happened.  He told me to sit down.  I did.  He walked outside to make a phone call.  To be perfectly honest, I don't remember how I got outside but I must have followed Marc.

Marc was crying.  I was sobbing and screaming and shaking all over.  I did not know how, when, or why I got outside and I sure did not know how I was going to get back inside.  I did notice several of the girls gathering around us, but no one said a word.  They all stared big-eyed at us.  No one had ever seen me like that before.  They didn't know what to do or what to say.

All of a sudden, above my sobs, I heard one little voice saying, "I love you, Mommy."  Nohemy jumped in my lap and hugged me.  She held tight to me and continued to say, " I love you, Mommy, I love you."  She kissed my face and hugged a little tighter, even as the other girls continued to stare and not know what to do.

Nothing could ease the grief and the pain I was feeling, but that little girl touched something deep within me.  Deep, deep within me.  I held her a few minutes and then I was able to get up and walk back in the house.

Oh yes, that one has a special place in my heart.

Terri

No comments: