Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Rosy Visits The Nursing Home

Last week Rosy had a series of projects.  One day she had to make mayonnaise.  One day she had to visit a nursing home or special needs center.  Marc is familiar with both of those so we assigned him to the task of taking her.  He picked her up at school one afternoon and they went to the nursing home.  She had to have pictures and then do a project on this.  I reluctantly turned my camera over to Marc for the day. 

Marc got pictures of the residents but Rosy is not in any of them.  She would not go near anyone.  Marc said she had a look of terror on her face.  Rosy is deaf and Marc could not easily find out what was wrong, but we guess she was scared he had taken her there to leave her. 

Marc called me and told me what was happening and I let Karen know.  When they got home, Karen asked Rosy where she had been.  She said no where.  I haven't been any where.  Karen asked if she went to the nursing home and she said no.  Karen said I know you did.  Rosy said there was a kitten and she liked it and it peed on her.

Karen asked the teachers at school to explain to her why she went there.  I don't know if the teachers got it explained or not.  Rosy had a complete meltdown at school.  The worse meltdown she had ever had at school.  Karen and I and the staff have seen those once in a while, but never at school.  She was throwing herself in the floor.  The teacher would try to get her stand and couldn't.  The day after that, the teacher said her whole body was sore from dealing with that.

I got the pictures printed and Rosy refused to even look at them.  Dilma was the person that was having to help Rosy with the project.  I have no idea how that went, but I have an idea Dilma was ready to pull out someone's hair before she was finished.

I have no idea what was going on in Rosy's mind, but she was absolutely terrified of this situation.  I hope some day we can find out the reason for this fear and help her work through it.  I also hope she doesn't have another assignment like that for a while.

Terri

No comments: