Thursday, April 7, 2011

Yay Sisi

March 9, 2009, just a little over two years ago we started Sisi in Teleton.  At the time, Sisi was in first grade.  It was obvious Sisi was just not getting it.  She wasn't getting anything, not math, not reading, not writing.  March is still early in the school year and we kept hoping and praying that something would click.  It didn't.

Even with the Teleton classes, Karen decided Sisi should repeat first grade.  Last year Sisi had a much better year and when it was all said and done, she had the second highest average in the class.  And we continued to take her to Teleton.

This year Sisi is in second grade and doing well.  I watch her at homework time.  She gets her books and does the homework.  She does it neatly and usually quickly.

Today, we had an appointment at Teleton.  Instead of a 30 minute appointment, it was a little over an hour.  The teacher was testing her.  When the teacher called me in, she said Sisi could listen well, read well, write well, and copy well.  The teacher also said there was no need to bring her to Teleton any more.  I was happy.

Sisi likes to go to Teleton.  I was not sure Sisi would be as happy as I was.  I told her she did not have to come any more and she smiled a great big smile. 

Since we were in town, I explained to Sisi we were going to Larach and buy a couple of things some of the kids needed for school.  She said "I like Larach."  Whether or not Sisi has ever been to Larach is unknown.  She was excited to be in there and look.  She was good and did not touch a thing.

I explained to her that I usually do not buy something every time we go to Tegucigalpa but today was a very special day.  She knows I don't buy every time we go to town because she asks almost every time we go to town.  She began to smile before I even finished telling this story.  She knew exactly what I was saying.

I bought her a pepsi and some cookies.  She gave me one cookie.  She ate a few and then said she wanted to save the others for Lupe and Adonis.  How sweet is that. 

Let's pray that Sisi continues to do well in school.   Yay Sisi for a job well done.

Terri

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A big yay for Sisi. I do not even know her but that brings tears to my eyes. I hear you talk about that long trip with her into town and it has paid off. Thank God for good people to help the little children grow to all they can be. linda

Anonymous said...

A great success story! Good for her! Good
for Terri!! Love you!

Linda Willis

Donna said...

How wonderful for Sisi! She's a beautiful girl with a heart to match!