Friday, March 4, 2011

Get Out Of The Sun, Have A Seat

Today was a day full of errands.  I let them accumulate in order to save a trip to town.  The last errand on the list was the market.  I handed my fruit and vegetable list to the lady.  I then went to several other vendors to buy cheese, matches, vanilla, brooms and mops.  I returned before she finished my list.

Most Hondurans, as brown as they are, worry about being in the sun too much.  They certainly worry about my pale skin.  The lady from which I buy my fruits and vegetables told to come on into her stall and get out of the sun.  I was fine where I was, but she really wanted me to come in.  I can offend someone without trying and I really hate to do it on purpose.  No one likes to be refused when they are trying to do something for someone else.  I walked around and entered her stall.  She pulled out a milk crate and motioned for me to have a seat.  She then grabbed her son's jacket and threw on the top saying she didn't want me to get dirty.

I sat down on the milk crate, not knowing if I would ever be able to get up from something as low as a milk crate.  My order took a lot longer today than usual.  It was hot in the sun.  Without the breeze blowing, it was also hot under that plastic tarp.  But I sat.  I am one of the few gringas at the market anyway.  I felt really conspicuous sitting on a milk crate inside the stall.  I don't think anyone was paying attention to me any way.

I sat there and observed the busyness of the market.  Heard people conversing with one another.  A breeze blew threw once in a while.  That was nice.  And it was nice to sit for a few minutes. 

A simple act of kindess can brighten anyone's day.

Terri

No comments: