Friday, December 18, 2009

The New Chicken Coop

Grant and Kirt helping Brayan


















Kirt helping Ana





















A finished coop full of chickens.


This week our friends, Kirt and Grant, are here. They have done a lot of repairs and fix-er-up jobs for us. They built a chicken coop. I guess we will soon have chickens. Laying chickens. We are going to raise eggs.



Kirt and Grant are expert builders. And very patient, as they let several of the children help them. They showed the ones that wanted to, how to hammer a nail. Most of the kids, at least wanted to try. I rounded the corner to check on the kids and even little Maryuri was hammering. Grant was coaching her. He told me she had been an hour on that one nail. She was getting close to getting it in. I watched her with the hammer. She was missing the nail more than she was hitting it, but she never quit or gave up. I asked her if she wanted some help. She said yes. I put my hand around her little one and in a couple more hits we had it. Her sweet little face beamed with pride when she saw the nail was all the way in. I asked her if she was tired. She said yes. I bet she sleeps well tonight.



Not only were the children enjoying getting to help build, they were pretending they were chickens. There was a lot of cackling.



Rosy was not having a good day. At all. After the work was complete, Rosy locked herself inside the chicken coop. Dilma and I joked that perhaps she could sleep there. We would never do that, of course.



Thanks to Kirt and Grant for all the little chores they completed and for the new chicken coop. I am sure there will be more stories once the chickens arrive.



Terri

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good eggs and good lessons too for the kids. We had chickens while our grands were little and their great joy was gathering the eggs. Then eating them . They can help feed and water and keep the coup clean. There is a kind of chicken that lays colored eggs too and we always enjoyed that. I think their are called anacondos (sp) I know the chickens will be work for everyone. Wouldn't the children love to see a batch of baby chickens hatched out and grow up. I am so happy they get to experience things like that. linda