Monday, December 14, 2009

A Little Street Vendor

We see a lot of street vendors, selling fruits and vegetables, gum, phone chargers, windshield wiper blades, and a lot of other things as well. With 30% unemployment, people do whatever they have to do to get some food on the table. It always pulls at my heartstrings when I see a child having to peddle wares in the street. A child that does this might be trying to help the family or he might be a street kid. Whatever the reason, it is always sad to see children working as street vendors.

The other night when an extra play practice was called for Rosy, Marc suggested I take her in for practice. My niece, Alison, was here and was leaving the next morning. After getting Rosy to Manos Felices, Alison and I ate and checked our email. I was having a most enjoyable time. I always enjoy being with Alison and seemed as if the week she spent here went way too fast.

At 7:45, we started back to Manos Felices to get Rosy. We were approaching the stadium. It was dark and I saw something glisten in the middle of the street. I saw the wares before I saw the child. A little child was out on the street peddling. It was dark and it was cold. And he was little.

It became silent in the car as Alison and I pondered what we had just seen. Did he have parents? Did they know he was out selling at night? Did they care? Was he a street kid, trying to earn a couple of bucks? Of course, I don't have those answers. I just know it was very sad to see a little child peddling after dark.

Terri

No comments: