Friday, October 10, 2008

Can't Wash That Smell Away

Tuesday we went to the dump and took oranges and bananas. It has been raining for weeks. Just getting there was a challenge as we slipped and slid our way in. As always, the people were glad to see us. Each time we go are more kids there. This just rips my heart out every time. I think the rain makes more the smell more putrid. It was nauseating.

Folks rushed up to meet us and more people than ever needed hugs. We have learned to give hugs to all who want them. The filth in which these people live is just unbelievable. We continued to give fruit and hugs until all the fruit was gone.

We scrubbed our hands as soon as we possibly could. Our clothes and the truck continued to reek of the smells of the dump all day. I eventually got home and showered the smells away. As I went to bed that night in my dry bed, I had troubling going to sleep and was awake way into the night thinking about all those people at the dump. They not only do not have dry beds, or some cases beds, in which to sleep, there is no way no shower and wash those odors of rotting garbage, human and animal waste and no telling what else. Just can't wash those smells away.

Terri

2 comments:

Ginger said...

Dear Terri,
Does this dump have old cars? What shelter does one have in a dump when the rains are washing the roads away and continually comes down?

How does one keep from having disease?

You want to pack water and soap and buckets and wash clothes to them, don't you?

I am sure the oranges and bananas was a welcome sight and relief to their hunger but when one doesn't have basic needs it stresses me out just reading about it.


I am almost afraid to ask all these questions since deep down I already know the answers and it chills ne and haunts me.

It's tough being you.

But you sure do your job in a way that I admire.

love, Ginger

Becky Powell said...

I admire you guys so much for the love you show to those people at the dump. When we were there in Honduras, I was able to visit the dump a few times. Just reading your blog, I can recall the terrible smell that hits you in the face as soon as you drive up. I can't imagine how much those kids (and adults) there appreciate your hugs. Thank you for your wonderful example! God bless! Miss you guys!