Monday, October 20, 2008

Another Manic Monday

This morning I arose early, earlier than normal. I spent precious time with God and then exercised. Had a cup of coffee and thought I was ready to take on a new day and a new week. I should never get comfortable with anything.

Marc was taking the kids to school this morning. He left the house, but in just a couple of minutes there was pounding on the door. Since whoever it was, just kept knocking, I guessed it was Marc. It was two of the kids needing some money for school.

Marc had no more than left when my phone rang. It was Karen. Dilcia and Reina had just called and said they had to get off the bus at Loarque, that nothing was getting through. They said they were walking. Loarque is at the bottom of this mountain and about 25-30 kilometers from here. I cannot imagine walking up the hill for that far. They might have been here in time to get off this afternoon. I told Karen I would call Marc and he could head down for them from the school. I dialed Marc's number and heard his phone ringing behind me. So much for that idea. He would have to go find Dilcia and Reina after returning from the school.

Marc returned from the school and I told him he needed to leave again. I asked if he had Dilcia and Reina's numbers. He said he would stop by Karen's and get them. In just a few minutes Marc's phone rings. Some Mondays are just like that.

Marc's phone was ringing every few minutes. Marc's phone rings like that all day, every day. I thought I would answer his phone and take messages. Some people were telling Marc he would not get to town this morning. Some were saying they could not get to Santa Ana. Then my phone started ringing as well. Since the teachers ride the same bus as Dilcia and Reina, the teachers could not get to school. I don't guess they were not trying to walk. I went to get the kids at school.

Traffic was backed up as there was a strike at Santa Rosa. I don't know yet who was striking, but no one was getting past Santa Rosa from either side. Along the way, Marc stopped and picked up Sandra. When he could get no further, he got out of the car and walked looking for Dilcia and Reina. There were hundreds of folks walking in both directions, trying to get where they needed to be. Dilcia had said that if they stopped and stood in one place Marc would never find them because so many were walking.

Marc finally found them and everyone got here safely, a bit tired, but safely.

Since we were not going anywhere today, Marc and I both sat down at our computers to do some much needed work. Almost immediately, the power went out. Another blackout. We have not had one of those in a while and we were becoming a little complacent.

After lunch, with the power still out and the strike still in progress, it seemed the only logical thing to do was take a nap. I did.

Obviously, the power is back on. The strike is over, at least for today, and Marc has taken Rosita to the doctor. I am trying to work now since I lounged around all day.

Terri

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well Terri you just never know what you are going to wake up to in the mornings, do you? I am so glad you are young. Your days just seem more than one could take. You have had to become more easy going I would figure. The kids being out on the roads with so many folks would get me down. I have to remember if I feel I have a hard day to face to be sure and read your blogg and mine will sound like a piece of cake. I usually do read your blogg the first thing in the morning, you cannot know how much I enjoy them. I feel like old friends to the workers and children, hearing about their daily strugles. Thanks so much for sharing. linda