Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Something Else Is Going Up


Working on second story support beams, both vertical and horizontal




Yesterday, I went back to Oriente to work. The building there is going up nicely. The rebar towers were being built in order to start construction on the second floor. The wooden forms to go around the towers so that concrete can be poured were also being constructed.




This is the first time we have built a two story block building. There is a lot of learning. We have a good construction foreman, Milton Estrada. What he does not know, he seeks advice from his dad, Timoteo. Timoteo knows everything about construction.
Yesterday, not only did I shovel concrete, I helped mix it. This is very hard work. I think if I shoveled concrete for thirty minutes a day, everyday, I would have firm abs again. I loved working that hard. I am slow compared to the Hondurans, but they are kind let me help.
I wish I could be there today as those beams for the ceiling of the first floor/ floor of the second floor are laid. I know I could not help with the that, but the process fascinates me.

As we begin the third week of this project, please pray for the workers. We have already seen a few injuries and illnesses.
Terri






2 comments:

Ginger said...

Dear Terri,
Those men sure are working hard!
So many things happening there that I can hardly keep up.
I will email later. Have lots to share..love, Ginger

Carla and Daryl said...

it is going to look so good when it is finished. it is coming along so nicely. bet you are getting in great shape...who needs a gym when you can mix concrete! HA! love ya, carla