Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A Frosty for Fito

Today I took Fito into town for his counseling appointment. I do this sometimes. Most of the time when I do, I take him to the appointment and we come straight home. I am usually in a big hurry to get something else done. Two weeks ago, Karen said I hope you are not planning on stopping after the appointment. Fito had had a bad day at school and did not need a treat.

I asked Karen at lunch if Fito had had a good past few days. She said yes. After the appointment, I asked him if he liked ice cream. He said yes. He still didn't know we were getting one. We pulled up at Wendy's and I asked if he wanted a coke or ice cream. There was no decision there. Without hesitating, he answered ice cream. We went in and I ordered two frosties. Fito was all smiles and saying "gracias, Terri". We sat down at one of the tables. I wanted to eat mine because there was no way I wanted to drive in Tegucigalpa and eat at the same time.

Fito slowly ate his. I mean very slowly ate his. No, he savored his. After I was finished, I said he could finish his in the car. He managed to make this frostie last all the way home. And then tried to lick the cup clean.

I wished I would have taken the same kind of time and savored and enjoyed every bite of mine as much as Fito enjoyed his.

Terri

3 comments:

Carla and Daryl said...

a simple kindness brought a simple joy that'll fito will probably remember forever.we should all slow down in our lives more and try to savor those simple things more often.

Anonymous said...

What a important lesson you and Fito have taught me this morning. I catch myself being so happy when the last meal of the day has been decided on and finished and cleaned up after and so many there are so grateful and appreciative for even a frostie. Forgive me for my ungratefulness Lord and may I become more appreciative of what I am blessed with. Reading your accounts of the people in Hondurous make me ashamed of what I take for granted. linda

Ginger said...

Fito is a lucky boy!! To have a kind friend like Terri Tindal.