Friday, April 25, 2008

It Is A Little Buggy

It is definitely bug season in Honduras. I do not know if this is because we are nearing the end of the dry season or because of the approaching rainy season. I do know everyone that has been here before during this time of the year says it is going to get worse before it gets better.

There are these june bugs. They fly around in our bedroom at night and sound like airplanes buzzing. They are so stupid. They fly around for a bit and then they fly right into the wall. Then they make a crash landing on the floor. We can hear all of this. There is always dead bugs all over the floor.

Last night I was reading and Marc looked up and said that is the biggest bug I think I have ever seen. He might be right. He was going to take care of that bug. He sprayed the bug with bug spray and said that'll show him. Wrong. After the events of yesterday, I was a bit restless and having a hard time going to sleep. I could hear the june bugs crashing into the wall and landing, when I felt something crawling on my shoulder. I brushed it off and pulled the sheet up a little closer. Then I could hear something crawling around on the bed. I jumped up, turned the lamp on, and there was the big bug that Marc was going to show. I grabbed my book and slammed it down on Mr. Big Bug. I watched it fall to the floor. Marc said "I guess you showed him." I said "no, he is still kicking. This morning he was several feet from where he fell last night.

There is all kinds of creepy crawlly things around here. As long as it is just bugs, and not mice, I am ok. I am so thankful that God moved me to a country where bugs crash into walls and die and not to a country where bugs are part of the regular diet.

Terri

4 comments:

Ginger said...

Terri,
You have an amazing attitude. I would be up all night killing bugs and wouldn't go to sleep until every last bug was DEAD.
ANOTHER DAY, ANOTHER ADVENTURE AND YOU ARE NOT FREAKING OUT EVEN.
GINGER

Heifer said...

I personally prefer mice. They go "squeek"(sp?) and feel soft when you step on them, not "crunch" and feel sticky and eew. I think we should all chip in and send you some netting to drape around your bed!!!! old aunt Linda

Carla and Daryl said...

your blog about the bug was funny. i had to laugh! do you ever have to worry about poisenous ones though? when you mentioned something crawling on your shoulder it made me shiver!! those bugs have 9 lives don't they? love you, carla

Anonymous said...

I think your emotins run from the very high to the very low and with the bugs in between. I am like you, as long it is not a furry mouse. I could not take that. I wanted to respond to the changing lives blogg because I think the construction looks very professional. To be coming from such young boys mostly. The blocks are stacked perfectly. I even feel pride looking at the progress you have made. Keep your computer out of the rain Marc so we can see more consturction photos and hear more information on that project. That sounds like the way to go, making it possible for the folks who want a better life to be able to get help learing skills and with better ways to keep clean, and learning better ways to live. I pray for much success in this project and think you may be on to something that will go over all around the country side there. linda