Friday, December 9, 2016

Tender Endearing Moments

There are those days when one just beams with pride.  Today was one of those days.

Donna arrived on December 1 for another round of sewing.  The first project was blankets.  Her idea was for the girls to make them and give to each other.  Another idea emerged and that was for the girls (and boys) to make the blankets and then we would visit a nursing home and give the blankets to the residents.  I thought that perhaps our kids needed to learn to do for others.









Today was the day to visit and we were told we could be there between 1:00 and 3:00.  I asked everyone to have lunch ready at 11:30.  My hopes were we could leave here by 12:30.  I had a few stragglers on chores, but we left by 12:45.  Nicole, Donna and I, four employees (one to drive the van), 17 kids, Baby Paige, and 28 gift bags left here in the van and my car.

I am never quite sure what to expect when we go on an outing.  I was not quite sure what to expect at the nursing home (hogar para abuelos).  I have heard horror stories of nursing homes in Honduras.  The nursing home is on a very busy street.  I was scared to death getting that many kids out of the vehicle and into the building. 

A few of the kids entered hesitantly.  We were greeted with smiles and hugs. The home was clean and the residents well cared for.  I was thankful for that.

These children do not have grandparents.  The children, even the stinkiest ones, visited and hugged and smiled.  I am not sure who enjoyed this visit more, the abuelos or the kids.  Everyone of the children was kind and compassionate.  They laughed and talked.  I may have been allergic to something because my glasses kept fogging over.  Katy may have been allergic to something, also.  She teared up more than once. 

The kids sought out every single resident and gave them a bag.  Nicole and one lady danced.  We sang some songs.  Fernando led the sweetest, kindest prayer.  No one wanted this to end so we stayed a few more minutes.  As we left, there were more hugs and smiles.

Yes I was beaming with pride at the way these children behaved today.

























No comments: