Sunday, January 19, 2014

Gulf Coast Get Away

It has been an awesome weekend.

We arrived in Panama City Beach Friday afternoon.  It was really cold and got colder before it got warmer.  Saturday morning the temperature was in the low 30's and the wind was blowing.  But inside the conference center, there was warm, sweet fellowship and worship. 

My cup was empty and it was filled over the last three days.  At least, partially filled.  We spent time with many, many friends.  The singing and lessons were great.  I really needed to hear 1600 people lift their voices in praise to the Father.

Saturday morning, Jason and Jenna gave a report  on their summer as Honduras Hope interns. 

It never did warm up enough to really enjoy the beach and, when I was not in the sessions, I was working.  This morning we decided to leave after lunch and not stay for the night session.  The Sunday night session has traditionally been the best one.  Saturday night and Sunday morning were so good, it was hard to imagine Sunday night being better.  But, I will never know.  I was quite torn about this decision.  Since, Sunday night has always been so good, I really did not  want to miss it.  On the the other hand, it is a long, long way from Panama City Beach to Borger.  Over 1100 miles.  I really wanted to be able to walk on Tuesday.  If I rode 1100 miles in one day, I might not be able to walk for a week. I might have just become a sitting statue sitting in the front seat of the Saturn. 

As we left town, we stopped at the beach for a few minutes.  We were going to walk out on the pier, but decided against that when the charge was $3.00 a piece.  Just to walk on the pier.  We walked out on the beach.  Yellow flags were flying.  The wind was biting.  The beach was almost deserted.  There were a few surfers.  I thought they were crazy.  I inhaled a few deep breaths of the sea air and took a few pictures.  Then we went back to the car and headed west.

The more miles we were from Panama City Beach, the more glad I was we left after lunch.  Tonight, we are in Alexandria, Louisiana.  Almost half way to Borger.  We still have a long today tomorrow.  I really did miss worship tonight, but I am glad we are this far.

No comments: