Thursday, March 25, 2010

My Knee Hurts, I Think I Will See A Gynecologist

A couple of weeks ago, I hurt my knee. I don't know how or when, I just hurt it. I thought in a day or so, it will be better. Well, it did not get better and I was waiting until this group leaves to see a doctor.

Our dentist that is treating the kids for free has been worried about my knee. Dr. Rixa, the dentist, set me up to see someone about my knee. I had an appointment yesterday morning. I wore a dress so it would be easy to get x-rays if need be. I went to Rixa's office and she asked me several questions. When she found out I was hormones, she said bad, very bad. Then asked me if I knew hormones could cause problems with my joints, knees, shoulders, elbows, etc.

She then called a doctor to her office and introduced us and he said lets go to my office. The only thing on his door was Dr. Roger. I guessed I was seeing an orthopedic doctor. The doctor and I sat down and he began asking questions. The first one was "how many babies have you had?". I answered but wondered what that had to do with my knee. Then he asked if I had a mammogram yearly. Suffice it to say, I am a bit shocked. I really can't figure out what that has to do with my knee. Then he asked when the last mammogram was. I could proudly say last month. I was quickly figuring out that this was a gynecologist, not an orthopedic doctor. Then he asked other questions that gynecologists ask. I don't think orthopedic doctors ask those questions. Then we got around to endomitriosis, hysterectomy and hormones. Then he said the hormones might be causing the knee problem.

I never thought I would need Dr. O'Dell's number in my Honduran cell phone, but I sure was wanting to call his office and let him try to communicate to Dr. Roger about the hormones. I need them. Badly. Dr. Roger doesn't understand that everyone that has to be around me does not want me off these hormones. I am sure they (everyone that knows me) would rather my knee hurt the rest of my life than not use the hormones.

He checked the bad knee and the good knee and said this definitely was not related to hormones. He referred me to the best orthopedic doctor in town. His name is Dr. Mario Zelaya. He is a friend of ours and I plan on seeing him next week.

Funny thing. My knee has not hurt all day. I think just the thought of going off those hormones scared my knee into feeling better. Not even my knee wants to deal with me.

This was truly a welcome to Honduras experience. Next time your knee needs seen, I have a good gynecologist I can refer.

Terri

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I laughed so hard I cried! Great story! You are soooooo funny, Terri!

Sherry Hubright

Churchill said...

"welcome to Honduras" moment. wow.. lol

Anonymous said...

TOO funny!!!!!