Saturday, February 6, 2010

Surprise

I love surprises; and it makes no difference whether I am the surprisee or the surprisor. I just love surprises.

Three years ago I re-entered the work force after not working for five years. I was a bit apprehensive about going back to work. Not only did I like my job, I became fast friends with the gals with whom I worked. I did not work this job very long because after six months is when we left for Honduras. But I remained friends with those women. We have emailed and chatted online, sometimes way into the night.

One of those women, Rosemary, retired February 1. I have known for a long time I was going to be in Illinois this week. I was very careful not to tell her, though. I had checked with Sandy in the office to see if there was going to be a retirement party and found out there was. Last week, before we left Texas, and I knew Rosemary would still be at work, I called her husband and got the details. I have been aware of what I blogged and when this week. I even chatted with Rosemary earlier in the week and I was hoping she would not ask me where we were. As the week went on, I tried to not show that I was available to chat.

Tonight was the party. I walked in a few minutes after it started. Rosemary saw me immediately and came walking toward me. We hugged and she said, "how did you find out? All I said was I have my ways. As she introduced me to her children, they both said, "oh, I knew she was coming." A couple of times as she or her husband introduced me to their friends and family, one would say, "she came all the way from Honduras for this."

I had a good time tonight, visiting with friends and wishing Rosemary a happy retirement. And I loved being part of this surprise.

Terri

5 comments:

Rosemary said...

Thanks for the Wonderful suprise!! It was great to see you and thank Marc for sharing you for the evening. Love Always, Rosemary

Ginger said...

aawwwwweee! I know that was a kick for you...and her your friend!

Anonymous said...

Reading this brought smiles. How special to be able to help your friend celebrate a momentous occasion. Wonderful that you could be there at this perfect time. I know it was fun for you and for Rosemary. Hope the rest of your trip will be a fun time. Enjoy Camille this week, and little Haley when you get to BR.Sue

RobinLynn said...

I love that you were a part of it too! God is so good with what I call 'serendipity' blessings ... those wonderful blessings he so graciously hands us when we go about doing his will. What a precious gift.

mandnfitz said...

Have fun with Mickey and Minnie and especially Camille.